Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Really frustrated with Alexa!

paris1

Really frustrated with Alexa!
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:36:39 pm »
My experience with my Echo Dot has gone from mediocre to worse and I can't figure out what the problem is. I ask
Alexa the simplest questions in the simplest terms possible and all I get back is "I don't understand the question" (or something to that effect). Example: This morning I asked her what the date of this year's NBA All-Star game is. My wife and I must have asked her the same question 10 different ways, trying to make the wording simpler and more to the point each time. No luck! This seems to happen 75% of the time I ask the damn thing a question. It's getting to the point where I'm less and less inclined to even bother. I just go back to my home office and google the query for a response. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or is this everyone's experience with these devices?

M1n1fan

Re: Really frustrated with Alexa!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:50:48 pm »
I tried the same here - same question several ways. (Not peculiar to the Dot, as it is only the pathway to Alexa.) Same results She apparently just doesn't know the answer. Surprising.
(I know its no help, either in answering your echo issue or telling you when the game is. But I assume you know that by now.)

coyote

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:07:20 pm »
Upon a bit of followup, it seems Alexa can tell you about the SuperBowl... but not about the NFL AllStar game.
Guess it only cares about stuff that's important:D

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:17:01 pm »
Upon a bit of followup, it seems Alexa can tell you about the SuperBowl... but not about the NFL AllStar game.
Guess it only cares about stuff that's important:D

amen  :-)

garyyoung

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:52:53 pm »
This homemade skill allows Alexa to conduct Google searches (using a query like, "Alexa, ask Google ...."):

http://alexamods.com/guide-install-ask-google-alexa-skill/

It's much better than Alexa's default search at answering factual questions. However, even so, I didn't have much luck with your question. The closest I got was the date of the 2016 game.

paris1

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:09:00 pm »
This homemade skill allows Alexa to conduct Google searches (using a query like, "Alexa, ask Google ...."):

It's much better than Alexa's default search at answering factual questions. However, even so, I didn't have much luck with your question. The closest I got was the date of the 2016 game.
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll read up on that when I get a chance.

iolinux333

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:08 am »
It feels like over the past week or so Alexa has been getting lessons from Siri. Alexa dev team needs to roll back the last update and start over again.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 02:17:23 am »

THANK YOU!!!!

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:53:32 am »
So Alpha, is the app working WELL?  How much did it cost?  It looks like a LOT of steps to take, not just your "Alexa enable such-in-such skill.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 02:39:53 pm »
NOPE! 

It was too much work just to enable a skill.  Also, I have a Mac & no where in all that mumbo jumbo did I find any system requirements.
Also, what I did not care for is that the skill is FREE, yet required you to submit cc info.  NOT going to do that.  Amazon does not have my cc info either as I am not a member.

However, from the info provided the Google skill has great potential for those who wish to try it & submit their financial info.  My "Thank You" stands.  It's just not for me "at this time."