Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Q: looking for a non-portable speaker for Echo Dot.

Scott_R

Q: looking for a non-portable speaker for Echo Dot.
« on: January 13, 2017, 06:53:34 pm »
I'm looking for a speaker, Bluetooth preferred, Aux-connected acceptable, for an Echo Dot.

My intent is to have it boost the audio (both to increase the volume and the sound quality) of the Dot. It's going to remain plugged in all the time so I'd prefer it not be battery-powered. I'm not against battery power but I won't be using it, so a rechargeable battery will be wasted space and expense. Is there anything out there that fits this, or should I resign myself to getting a portable speaker that has batteries?

(FWIW, a Bluetooth stereo adapter wouldn't be practical.)

mike27oct

Re: Q: looking for a non-portable speaker for Echo Dot.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:02 pm »
Speakers are a common commodity, So I suggest you go to the Amazon site and do your own shopping for what you want.  Speakers are "personal".

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 10:48:30 pm »
Go to all of your favorite big box stores like Best Buy & check out all the bluetooth speakers to your hearts desire.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 01:27:22 am »
I got a ravon w65 from my local walmart and it works great and has great sound.  I don't think the model is available anymore but you can check.   I use this for a dot in one room.  it is about the size of a small boom box.

In another room I am using a home theater for another dot.  it is a samsung htj4500.  I got it at best buy a few weeks ago. 

anyway there are hundreds of models you can choose from whether it be a small radio style or a home theater.  my suggestion would be check out local stores so you can return it if bt will not stay on when not in use. 

garyyoung

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:45:03 am »
Logitech makes some computer speakers with an aux connector. For instance, this single speaker:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Multimedia-Speaker-Smartphone-Tablet/dp/B00EZ9XLF8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1484408222

(I got a refurbished one on ebay for $10.)

Or if you want stereo:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Multimedia-Speakers-Multiple-Devices/dp/B00EZ9XKCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484408222

I'm not aware of any inexpensive speakers that have built-in bluetooth and no battery. The closest thing I'm aware of is this speaker that has a removable battery:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQDBRMO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2F3XQOQ2KX1TW&coliid=I2I1314T5IDQGI&psc=1

At $40, though, I don't think you'd be saving money over bluetooth speakers with batteries.

There are higher-priced (>$100) powered speakers that have built-in bluetooth, often labelled "studio monitors" and coming in pairs.

Judging from reviews on Amazon, some battery-powered speakers will play while they're plugged-in to the recharger and others won't. Your best bet might be to get a battery-powered speaker that will still work while plugged into the charger.