Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Alexa has stopped letting me dim the light

Alexa has stopped letting me dim the light
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »
Hi everyone. Alexa today no longer let's me dim the lights. I am able turn them on and off but won't recognise my dim command I have always used ("alexa, dim the lights to 30%) I use samsung smartthings and have called my device name "the lights" always worked up till now, even recognising what I am saying correctly when I see what questions I have asked in the app.

She just replies with, "Please try again with the device name and setting". I have reset the dot, removed the SmartThings device and reinstalled it. Still no joy. Any ideas?

Re: Alexa has stopped letting me dim the light
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »
Have you done any voice training?
My Alexa ignores the word the
I find Alexa will respond in my case to  room light, room lights, room lamp, room lamps the same with or with out using "the" but I have yet to do any training.
The word "the" might be what is causing the issue try changing that to  or  add "room name"  ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:23:47 pm »
Hi Dazzerbone, thank you for your post, I don't feel lonely anymore!

I have exactly the same problem than you since a few days. I was controlling two LightWaveRF dimmer switches through an echo group and dimming is no longer working. I have tried to remove groups, devices, skill...I have not managed to make it work again. I am still able to turn the lights on/off but when I use the command "dim" or "set" I am either asked to specify the name of the device (I have a very clean list there can't be a missunderstanding) or I am told that this action is not working on device "all lights".

To reply to tuicemen, I have checked the history requests to Alexa and she definitively understand each word I say.

Are we only two to face this issue? Any idea would be welcome to fix this!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:24:49 am »
Users on another forum reported that Alexa no longer understands "per cent". You now have to say "(Turjn on) Lounge 50", for example, to get 50% brightness. This works for me.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:37:56 am »
Getting the same issue - leaving out "percent" does indeed seem to fix it, but "dim the bedroom light to 50 percent" still works occasionally too.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:35 am »
I've had problems with one particular light today (Hue White). Even a new IFTTT applet wouldn't give me the right brightness. I had to use the Hue app on my phone. Other lights (White Ambience) seem to be OK - so far.