Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

ECHO Talking at Night When Wi-fi Goes Down

RichardInOR

ECHO Talking at Night When Wi-fi Goes Down
« on: January 09, 2017, 06:28:39 pm »
Ok... I am about to return this thing. I live in an area where it is not uncommon for power to flicker off and on throughout the year. Alexa likes to let you know wi-fi disconnected/attempting to reconnect each time. Not a good thing if you have her in the bedroom or within ear shot. Went to the Amazon store and they said to mute sound at night and I said OK that's fine. To my surprise, even muted, she will speak if trying to reconnect. any other ideas before she goes back? Unplugging and plugging each night is not an option. Way too much hassle to do each day. Thanks!

Re: ECHO Talking at Night When Wi-fi Goes Down
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:34:29 pm »
Ok... I am about to return this thing. I live in an area where it is not uncommon for power to flicker off and on throughout the year. Alexa likes to let you know wi-fi disconnected/attempting to reconnect each time. Not a good thing if you have her in the bedroom or within ear shot. Went to the Amazon store and they said to mute sound at night and I said OK that's fine. To my surprise, even muted, she will speak if trying to reconnect. any other ideas before she goes back? Unplugging and plugging each night is not an option. Way too much hassle to do each day. Thanks!

then get a battery backup...

RichardInOR

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:49:56 pm »
Better yet, Maybe a Diesel generator to keep all the power on so it never goes off and is always running:-) How about a setting to turn off speaking without investing more cash in order for it to not speak when you do not want it to? Thanks for the idea though.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:18:21 pm »
How about a simple timer and plug her into that? ???

RichardInOR

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:42:06 pm »
That's def a possibility. Issue with that is its already plugged into a full power strip and a timer is a little too wide to fit in current set up. of course I could get another power strip and plug that into other strip. Thanks for input. I was really hoping there was a setting to turn off all voice. Probably is no other way..

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »
Looks like you need one of these. They come in handy when you have large power bricks that take up all the space on a power strip.

Amazon has dozens of these from various sellers and manufacturers.
This particular one costs $16.97 for 10 of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Outlet-Extender-Liberator-Melca/dp/B014K0TCEA/

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:20:15 pm »
Good ideas, and here is another:  get a wall plug with on/off switch at Home Depot for around two bucks or less that you can plug Echo into and can turn off at bedtime.  Most all my gadgets without power switches are plugged into these, most so when gadget needs rebooting I don't have to yank the power cord from wall, I just use the switch.  My Echo is in one.

Most of all, don't let the power company prevent you from having the gadgets you want.  If it is so bad, have the power company check things out for your home or neighborhood.  Unacceptable service.  We don't have these issues in WA.  ;)

Kyle76

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:01 am »
We don't have these issues in WA.  ;)

And if you do, a few edibles will help you forget about it. :)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »
 having power constantly turning on/off is not good for electronic devices - even if plugged into surge protectors. 

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 10:26:36 pm »
Agree, so what is the better solution, short term?  Every time his power goes off, (which seems daily) and that's not good for the whole houseful of stuff either.  Apparently, the house has a power source problem that needs fixin'.  I've spent plenty of time in Oregon; it's not a 3rd World country!   :D