Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Searching for perfect bluetooth speaker for Dot

LarMorgan

Searching for perfect bluetooth speaker for Dot
« on: January 05, 2017, 05:30:02 pm »
Anyone have any advice on a bluetooth speaker that does the following..1) always on (plugged in) so that I never have to turn it on or re-pair it with my Dot 2) good sound for playing music 3) has an auxiliary out so I can plug it in to my home stereo also to have music coming out of all the speakers when I want it to. Basically, the bluetooth speaker would play all the time, the stereo speakers would add to the sound when I turn the stereo system on, and I would not need to use the Dot speaker at all. It is the #3 want where I seem to have a problem in finding something that works. Thanks.

Alpha Bitch

Re: Searching for perfect bluetooth speaker for Dot
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:07:51 pm »
iHomeŽ Bluetooth Rechargeable Mini Speaker make work for what you are seeking.  Speaker will play while sitting in its A/C charger.  Also, check out the Harmon bluethooth speakers.

jiminathens

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:13:54 pm »
If you have a good stereo, you can buy a bluetooth adaptor for under $20.00.  It plugs into your imput jacks on your stereo.  Then you can use your dot to bluetooth to your stereo.  Works great

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:52 pm »
Instead of bluetooth, you could get a Y audio cable, output from the Dot on one leg to an always on small speaker and the other leg to your stereo.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:37:40 am »
I have a stereo Y adapter (L & R) with the 3.5mm end plugged into Dot's audio out and other Y ends into stereo's L/R inputs.  I can also send BT audio to a BT speaker from Dot as well -- just not simultaneously.  Anyone can do this as well.

Who Let The Dogs Out

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 02:18:20 am »
I hear you. Most Bluetooth speakers are made to be portable, hence I am not aware of any that have an auxiliary out. i think in 2017 we will see a new class of Bluetooth speakers aimed at the Dot community.

In the mean time, and just for general consumption since others will be reading this thread, the $35 DKnight MagicBox II isn't a bad choice. It is not going to break the bank while looking for the 'perfect' speaker, it sounds good and is always on. I do not have that second delay in sound while it wakes up.

The other solution I was looking at was a Vizio sound bar. There is a way to keep it from going to sleep. But as jiminathens suggests, you might be better of with a Bluetooth audio adapter in the mean time.

coyote

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:24:18 am »
I have a $20 BT speaker I got at Home Depot 2 years ago. It actually sounds great.... the fail point is the fact that it's not always on. I was using it with a tablet, and had to have the tablet ping it every 10 minutes to keep the connection alive. And even at that, there remains a momentary delay when the tablet makes n announcement thru the speaker.

It drove me batty that I could not find an always-on speaker anywhere at that time.
I certainly hope the manufacturers grasp this need.

celticfan1888

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:21:35 am »
bose soundlink mini II + great sound out put not cheap though

iolinux333

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 01:57:33 pm »
bose soundlink mini II + great sound out put not cheap though

Do NOT get this.

It drops the AUX input and reverts back to Bluetooth if the AUX doesn't receive input for a few minutes.

So you can't just leave it connected by AUX cable to the dot.

I confirmed this with BOSE tech support and they still haven't fixed the issue with a firmware update one year after submitting the bug report.

Look elsewhere than BOSE.

blackbeagle

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:13:29 pm »
I have the Big Blue Party Speaker. I have it turned on all the time sitting in the corner. It was nearly $180, but the sound is superb. It's better than all the other small portable BT speakers I had laying around my house. This thing has a handle and is pretty heavy.

LarMorgan

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:13:23 pm »
Thanks, kevb and jiminathens. I got the inexpensive always on BT receiver from Amazon, plugged a y cable into it. One side of the y goes into my home stereo and the other into a small decent pair of always on powered speakers I had. Now, I get better sound on the dot when I use it just for regular tasks though the small speakers, but can get MUCH better sound for music playback when I turn on the stereo. I appreciate your suggestions.

mikeagner

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »
Get the DOSS Soundbox (available on Amazon). For such a small Bluetooth speaker, puts out a heckuva lot of audio, nice and clear, and is great for small living rooms and bedrooms. Don't let the small size fool you, it really does put out