Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Is anyone buying the Zipp speaker?

coyote

Is anyone buying the Zipp speaker?
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:44:20 am »
This ad keeps popping up on my screen for the Zipp speaker. I click it, and it shows a young woman waking up out of bed, tapping the top of the big cylindrical speaker, and dancing around her bedroom. All that, for only two hundred dollars!!

Sorry, but in the context of the current market for gadgets like this I'm struggling to see the appeal/value.

malliekm

Re: Is anyone buying the Zipp speaker?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
I'd buy it if made me feel like dancing first thing out of bed!  ::)
I have a Jawbone Jambox.  I need to dust it off, charge it and see
how Alexa sounds thru this awesome little speaker.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:55:38 pm »
1  The wireless Zipp is not a BT speaker so they say.

2.  I have a mini jambox and it sounds very good, although Dot audio out into the stereo is best.  I have a Dot solely devoted to the stereo which is playing a TuneIn jazz station from San Francisco at the moment.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:06:59 pm »

I don't know who "they" are, but they're certainly not the manufacturer, nor anyone who can type "Zipp speaker" into a search engine.

https://www.libratone.com/us/products/zipp-speakers

"ZIPP combines the convenience of Bluetooth with the premium sound and multi-room capabilities of traditional WiFi speakers, wrapped into a modern design."

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:30:25 pm »
Well, some of the first ads said the Zipps were "better than Bluetooth" and so I misunderstood they can be both

From the site:
WiFi + Bluetooth
Use WiFi for longest range and highest music quality, or Bluetooth to stream from any device

Multi-Room Music
Pair up to 6 speakers together in the same room or in multiple rooms

Interesting, it sounds like all speakers could be in sync (and therefore maybe Dot's audio out could feed audio to one, and they all could be in sync).  This sync feature is one that has been asked for here about the Dots.

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:46 pm »
Mike, did you know Jawbone no longer makes the Jambox?  They are putting all their efforts into health related devices.
I have the original size Jambox.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 11:22:03 pm »
I found out sometime this past year when I recommended one to a friend, and went looking for them!  Bummer.  I am really surprised they didn't sell the rights to make them, since they were darn good speakers.  I don't use mine as much nowadays since I got an Amazon Tap!

My mini jambox was a b-day gift from my wife -- she said she was tired of me walking around the house with the tinny iPhone playing in my pocket!   :)

coyote

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:39:13 pm »
Actually, I'm looking at their ad right now. And the ad itself says:
BETTER THAN
BLUETOOTH

Which, absent someone going to the effort of entering a phrase into a search engine in order to fact-check Libratone, certainly implies that the product is running a connectivity protocol "better than Bluetooth".

I don't know who "they" are, but they're certainly not the manufacturer, nor anyone who can type "Zipp speaker" into a search engine.

https://www.libratone.com/us/products/zipp-speakers

"ZIPP combines the convenience of Bluetooth with the premium sound and multi-room capabilities of traditional WiFi speakers, wrapped into a modern design."

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 04:00:46 pm »
coyote,

I saw that banner ad yesterday as well, and perhaps had before, and likely why I jumped to the "erroneous" conclusion that it did not have BT.  The banner ad almost indicates they are "dissing" BT, but they say ZIPPs work with either wi-fi or BT.  Anyway, I don't need or want them.  I have a houseful of speakers already, and right now none are on -- it's nice and quiet!