Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo, Dot and Sonos

Bryluq

Echo, Dot and Sonos
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:58:18 pm »
Ok, so I'd really like to get in on the whole house music scene. I really like what I'm seeing with Echo and Echo Dot and also what I'm hearing about the Sonos Play 1.

But I am a newbie to this so let me start off my series of really annoying queries with this one:

I'm looking at putting individual Dots in the bedrooms, bathrooms, family room and one outside building and an Echo in my kitchen (which is the main hub of activity). This would amount to 8 dots and 1 Echo. I'd also be doing the same with the Sonos plus an additional one in the kitchen and family room (but not one in the outside building due to humidity issues).

1. Is this too many systems in the location? Will I run into issues with overlap? My goal would be to have each individual room be it's own contained environment so, for example, my older daughter can listen to her music in her room, my son can listen to his music next door in his room, I can listen to music in the kitchen, etc.

2. My outside building is covered but still exposed to temperature and humidity. Will this be an issue with Dot?

That's enough from me on this one. What do you all think? (Yes, I know I'm looking at over $2k$

kbro

Re: Echo, Dot and Sonos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:51:10 am »
Right now you can't control a Sonos speaker from an Echo or Echo Dot. The closest you can get is to ask Alexa to stream music to your Echo/Dot from Spotify and then use Spotify Connect from an app (iPhone, Android etc) to redirect the stream to the Sonos speaker. There's suppose to be a software update in early 2017 that gives voice control, but it hasn't happened yet. The alternative is to use Play:5 speakers instead of Play:1 because they have a line-in which you can connect to the Dot (but not the Echo as there's no line-out).  If you want something that will work today then buy either Echos (full version, not Dot) or Play:1s, but not both.

Offline xFlip

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:06:28 pm »
I found a thread on Reddit in which someone said he was controlling his Sonos with Echo Dot by using Yonomi.  I tied this but my Android Alexa app can't find the Sonos devices as suggested on that page.  If you can figure it out then I would be interested as I'm not at all sure about how to configure this!

This is the page on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/4anjsk/sonos_amazon_echo_yonomi_basic_voice_control_and/rested. 

Let me know how you get on.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:08:14 pm by xFlip »

Offline xFlip

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:30 am »
I'm bumping up this thread in case anyone has had any success controlling Sonos speakers using Amazon Dot.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:10:19 pm »
maybe the following article from december has some tips

http://www.sam-mallery.com/2016/12/5-tips-for-using-amazon-echo-dot-with-sonos/

Offline xFlip

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:18:34 am »
maybe the following article from december has some tips

http://www.sam-mallery.com/2016/12/5-tips-for-using-amazon-echo-dot-with-sonos/

That's a great step-by-step article.  Unfortunately it seems to assume the Sonos unit has a "line-in" socket and I believe only the Sonos Play 5 has that.  My modest Sonos Play 1 units do not have a "line-in" socket. 

Since the article was written I believe Echo can control the Sonos to play the Sonos's own stream from the Internet which I believe is of higher quality than the stream the Echo uses.

Bryluq

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 01:06:31 am »
There's supposed to be an update coming this year that will allow the integration of Echo and Sonos. Anyone know when that's supposed to happen?

Joe Duffy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:24:57 am »
If you're in the UK, you might want to get purchasing your Sonos gear PDQ as the prices will be going up quite significantly very soon.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/13/14596212/sonos-uk-prices-increase-brexit