Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

alexa won't recognize some artist or song names

tim.robinson@level900.com

alexa won't recognize some artist or song names
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:07:49 pm »
I'm using the £3.99 echo-only version of Amazon music unlimited. Although alexa understands me 99% of the time, there are some songs or artists where it will not recognise me - for instance "adeva".

Obviously voice recognition isn't going to be 100% successful. is there any kind of workaround I can use for when it doesn't work?

I can search for the song in the standard amazon store in a web browser but there doesn't seem to be any way to play it on echo from there. I have installed the alexa app on my phone but that doesn't seem to have a search feature.

Am I missing something obvious? what do other people do when alexa won't recognise some music?

Alpha Bitch

Re: alexa won't recognize some artist or song names
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:06:37 pm »
I'm using the £3.99 echo-only version of Amazon music unlimited. Although alexa understands me 99% of the time, there are some songs or artists where it will not recognise me - for instance "adeva".

Obviously voice recognition isn't going to be 100% successful. is there any kind of workaround I can use for when it doesn't work?

I can search for the song in the standard amazon store in a web browser but there doesn't seem to be any way to play it on echo from there. I have installed the alexa app on my phone but that doesn't seem to have a search feature.

Am I missing something obvious? what do other people do when alexa won't recognise some music?
If Alexa is recognizing your voice 99% of the time, you are on a roll!!!!!  ;D  The more you talk to Alexa the more it understands you.

If Alexa does not recognize an artist, I then say the song or the album's name.  Most times when I say "play all songs by so & so," that works for me.
Regarding the artist Adeva, try pronouncing the name differently until Alexa recognizes it.  This works also.

SIDEBAR:  When I first got my 2nd Gen DOT a few weeks ago, for some strange reason it did not understand me when I said the wake word "Alexa."  I took the voice training test & it still did not understand me. >:(  So I changed its wake name to Echo.  VOILA!!!!!  ;D

strayfish

Re: alexa won't recognize some artist or song names
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:14:15 am »
No voice training in the UK so we're still giving it the full Basil Fawlty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc