Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Setup help-multiple dots

groucho111

Setup help-multiple dots
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:58:55 am »
My in-laws bought each of the kids an Echo Dot for Xmas and my mother-in-law is all over me about getting them set up. Kids are 13, 16 and 16.

My mother in law is under the impression that we can set them up individually somehow so the kids can have them in their room and say "what is my schedule today?" etc. and it will tell them their individual schedule, or add an item such as a test to their schedule.  they each have gmail addresses for school and calendar. 

My wife and I both have Amazon accounts and my wife has Prime on hers.  what is the best way to set up the 3 dots?
1. create a family in my wife's Amazon account and add the kids?  but then how will the echo add things to their schedule individually?
2.  set up their own Amazon accounts and allow them to somehow share music from the wife's account?

I am really confused.  Any help or links to article about how to do this the best way would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Steve

Offline kevb

Re: Setup help-multiple dots
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:58:00 am »
I think only two people can share an "amazon household". For separate calendars, etc., you may be better off having an account for each child/dot. I don't think Mom be able to share her Prime account with all of them.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:51:21 pm »
I tend to agree with kevb.  Everyone can talk to any Dot, but personal data would require separate accounts.  But, then none of the non-prime accounts would have any access to much music.  Personally, I would add all Dots to the same Prime account to have access to prime music.  (They could all be changed over from it at any time by unregistering any particular Dot,)  Don't worry too much about the kids using the calendar or schedule -- most teenagers would likely not use them.  Besides, if they have smartphones they have these features anyway.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 02:21:31 pm »
A quick Google search I found the following:
Using Multiple Alexa Devices
How to bring Alexa into every room of your home
What You Can (and Can’t) Do with Multiple Amazon Echos

You can also call CS for detailed instructions if what you want to do is possible:  1-888-280-3321

groucho111

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 05:42:11 pm »
thanks for all the replies and advise.  I decided to set up each dot individually.  I created Amazon accounts for each kid using their gmail addresses.  then I linked their calendar for that account to Alexa.  I know they wont have access to prime music but they can use pandora or tune in radio etc that should be good.

I will go back and change it if I find a better way to do it.  I personally don't think the kids will use them much at all.  like one of the other posters said, they all have smartphones now for viewing their calendar.  BUT like, i said, my MIL is all over me to get them set up so I had to do something.  They are coming over to have dinner with us tomorrow night, which I am sure is a reason to come over adn see if I have setup done.

thanks again for the suggestions

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:11:30 pm »
What else are MILs for?   ;)

BTW, good setup strategy for now.