Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon echo controlling Nest thermostat

gregandhisecho

Amazon echo controlling Nest thermostat
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:46:44 pm »
I've read things saying it can be done, and I've read things saying it cannot be done. I have not had any success with it on my Echo. Does anyone know how or if this can be done?
Thanks!

Offline jwlv

Re: Amazon echo controlling Nest thermostat
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 05:07:49 pm »
You're right, the answer depends on who you ask.
Native support for the Nest thermostat is not available, yet. That is, you cannot say, "Alexa, set temperature to 78 degrees."

There is a workaorund through IFTTT. It works, but it's not ideal. For it to work, it has to be triggered by some kind of event, such as adding something to your to-do list, playing an mp3 song, etc. Once that trigger has been detected, only one predefined command can be issued. So let's say your predefined command was to set the temperature to 72 degrees. You can say something like, "Alexa, add Nest to my to-do list." Then Echo will set the temperature to the predefined value.

Then there are the hacks. They are difficult to implement if you're not technically inclined. With some hacks, you can say something like, "Alexa, to-do temperature 80 degrees."

Y

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:22:50 pm »
This quest is what brought me to IFTTT. After researching I decided to use the IFTTT command for having the weather temperature (from web for me local airport) change my NEST. "If current temperature rises above xx°F, then set temperature for [location] (Nest) to xx"

https://ifttt.com/recipes/203608-nest-comfort-temp

I am using IFTTT with Echo for "Add Echo To-Do to Google Calendar" for verbal to text notes. If you think Alexa has a hard time just listening wait until she is taking it to text. Simple, clear and short works best.

I'm also using IFTTT for:
"Send a weekly email digest of songs played on Amazon Echo"
"Play song on Echo, save to Google spreadsheet"

geebee

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:31:52 pm »
Thanks..... I saw that thread yesterday as a matter of fact. I'll have to do some more research on IFTT before I start working with it.  Also, just wondering if people are telling Amazon and Nest about how nice it would be for the addition of Nest to the line of supported products. That would be the easiest route!

Bcmg82

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:52:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I created a extra step with the "recipe " but here's how mine works. I say "Alexa,to do. Change temperature.  Followed by the next command "Alexa what's on my to do list". It's at this point that the Nest will change to the temp the preset temp created within the IFTTT recipe.