Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Smart light switches controlled by Echo or Dot

Darrell

Smart light switches controlled by Echo or Dot
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »
I see there are a number of light switches that can be controlled by an Echo or Dot.  Anyone have a good or bad experience with any of them?  I've got a lot of track lighting that is controlled by dimmers and I want to swap them out with smart dimmers than I can control via an Echo.

Re: Smart light switches controlled by Echo or Dot
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »
I only have experience with the wemo ones and they work good.  most of them requires a neutral wire so you need to check to see if you have that wire.   

DParker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:36:55 pm »
I see there are a number of light switches that can be controlled by an Echo or Dot.  Anyone have a good or bad experience with any of them?  I've got a lot of track lighting that is controlled by dimmers and I want to swap them out with smart dimmers than I can control via an Echo.

With regards to "control via an Echo" there are 2 basic groups of devices:

• Direct (sort of) controlled devices.
  • Hub/bridge controlled devices.

The devices in the first group can be controlled/accessed via your Echo (or any other Alexa-enabled device on your Amazon account) without you needing any additional hardware to act as an intermediary.  The "sort of" qualifier refers to the fact that even you don't require any intermediary gear/software in your home, the fact is that Alexa still accesses these devices indirectly via internet "cloud" servers maintained by the vendors of the controlled devices.  And even that's a bit of an oversimplification...but, it works.  The devices in this group are generally those that are WiFi enabled, allowing the aforementioned vendors' servers to access and control them across the internet.  Belkin's "WeMo" line of smart switches and bulbs is just one example of this category of directly internet-accessible device.

The devices in the second group still require Alexa to go through a cloud-based vendor server to control them, but they also use some sort of short-range wired or wireless (almost exclusively the latter these days) communication mechanism that requires a local "hub" or "bridge" in your home to act as an intermediary between them and the vendor's server.  Examples would be switches, bulbs, et al that are communicated with via Bluetooth, Zigbee, Z-Wave or one of a few proprietary wireless protocols...hence the need for an internet-connected hub that translate between the commands received from the vendor's cloud server and whichever wireless protocol being used by the device in question.  There are a number of vendors currently making and selling hubs...all with different capabilities and architectures...competing for dominance in the home automation space, which is still in its infancy.  The hubs involve extra setup, management and cost, but they also provides far greater flexibility and choice when it comes to smart device selection.

With regard to the latter group there is an additional level of breakdown between standards-based hubs and those that use proprietary interfaces.  Obviously those based on open standards yield the greatest flexibility, as you can mix and match equipment from multiple vendors and still have them all work together in a single HA (Home Automation) system.  On the other hand, that also tends to be slightly more complicated to setup and manage than a single-vendor solution.  Everything is a trade-off.

You thought this was going to be simple, huh?  8)

A shorter answer based on my own experience is this:

I have a SmartThings hub that I use to control a variety of standards-based devices, including GE Link smart bulbs, GE Link smart wall switches (in both ZigBee ad Z-Wave versions) for overhead lighting and ceiling fans, a couple of Z-Wave motion sensors and a Z-Wave deadbolt on my front door.  Oh, and our (my wife's and my) phones act as "presence" sensors, letting the SmartThings hub know when we are and are not home.  They also host the SmartThings app, which allows us to control everything.  In addition to all that, Alexa is officially integrated with SmartThings (among other vendors), which allows us to use our Echos and a couple of other Alexa-enabled devices to use voice commands to control everything that is connected to the SmartThings hub.  Alexa is also integrated with EcoBee, allowing me to use voice commands to also control our two EcoBee3 smart thermostats (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs).  The thermostats are also accessible/controllable via the SmartThings hub, but Alexa's direct integration allows me to bypass that (since the EcoBees are actually in the first category of internet-accessible smart devices).  Except for some growing pains with the SmartThings hub itself (which at the moment seem to be mostly behind us) I have had very good experiences with all of these devices.

OK, maybe that version wasn't all that simple either.  Sorry, but the fact is that there's a lot to learn if you're going to make good choices in home automation gear.

Wait...did I forget to mention the Harmony Hub that I can use to control my TV, Blueray/streaming media player and satellite TV box via Echo voice commands?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:42:39 pm by DParker »

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:42:18 pm »
Thanks Mr. Parker for such a detailed description.  Your past comments had convinced me I need a Smartthings hub, but this current info and one other thing has convinced me I likely don't. 

We are lucky to have a few Amazon stores in our Seattle area, and there is one at our local big mall.  Wife bought me a TP-Link Smart Plug there for Xmas. She was also told by store employee that they are better than Wemo switches, because they have a lot of problems with Wemo switches and basically none with the TP switches.

So, I have the ($30) TP-Link Smart Plug all installed (it needs no hub) and it works perfectly on home network, cellular connection, and with all the Alexa devices we have.  If we can just control a few outlets for now, I am happy.  I will postpone getting the pricey Smartthing hub until I am very sure I even need one.

Just one glitch (and I blame myself, until I know otherwise,) and that is somehow I "crashed" the Smart Plug via the app fooling with it's settings and it needed to be reset to the defaults and set up again.  Not too difficult to setup again, and so far, so good.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:37:35 am »
I have eight wemo switches and not a problem with any of them.  I have a wink hub for my many cree and ge link bulbs (around 14).  and I have a philips hue hub with  five color changing bulbs.  I also have a honeywell thermostat which does not need a hub. 

getting started can be very confusing.  one thing, this is one area you really need to do your homework before purchasing anything.   I have had to make several returns because of incompatibility with the echo and been burned by tcp connected when they discontinued their connected service.  I had almost 20 of their bulbs that had to be replaced.  The best place I found to check for compatibility issues is amazon.  They will specifically mention if the device will work with the echo and what hubs it is compatible with in the description. 

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »
Lots of good reviews on the products at Amazon as well.  This is where I read that if one removes a Wemo to put in another location it looses its program, but the TP Link doesn't.

Also having most bulbs replaced by LEDs etc., we most always leave a couple of low-watt ones on when we leave the house, hence the necessity of needing many smart switches/bulbs is minimal, and we never enter a dark house.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:48:13 pm »
Lots of good reviews on the products at Amazon as well. This is where I read that if one removes a Wemo to put in another location it looses its program, but the TP Link doesn't.

Also having most bulbs replaced by LEDs etc., we most always leave a couple of low-watt ones on when we leave the house, hence the necessity of needing many smart switches/bulbs is minimal, and we never enter a dark house.

never heard of wemos losing their programs when moving to another location.   I tend to set up all bulbs and wemos switches at the very same location close to the router.  once they are setup, I move them to their final location.  never had a problem yet.  there were a couple that I moved to turn on something else I had to rename.  no problems there either...there may be something more to what you read that was not mentioned in the review. 

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 06:22:04 pm »
And, why I don't put a lot of stock in most Amazon reviews; so much incorrect stuff in them!  Amazing how Amazon customers review ANYTHING they buy there.  The reviewer there said he has a Wemo, just got the TP and gave reasons why he liked TP better.

Anyway glad to know your Wemos work fine.  I believe YOU!

lvuser

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 03:39:50 pm »
I have multiple Echos/dots and have an Insteon hub and switches thru much of the house.  The voice control works very well though you must be careful about naming the switches.  If you name one kitchen and another kitchen island, Alexa may ask you which one you meant if you ask for kitchen island.  I am not sure she always parses past the first word of the name.

coyote

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 08:28:51 am »
If you are only looking for voice control and have no need of automation, stay away from SmartThings. Which ain't that smart anyway. You spend more effort programming it than you do simply getting up and tossing the switch, and it certainly fails from a security standpoint.

DParker

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:32 am »
If you are only looking for voice control and have no need of automation, stay away from SmartThings. Which ain't that smart anyway. You spend more effort programming it than you do simply getting up and tossing the switch, and it certainly fails from a security standpoint.

Which version of the hub do you have?  My V2 hub works great, and is not difficult to use.  And unless you're creating elaborate custom rules or your own custom device handlers/smart apps there is no "programming" involved at all.

coyote

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 10:00:13 am »

Which version of the hub do you have?  My V2 hub works great, and is not difficult to use.  And unless you're creating elaborate custom rules or your own custom device handlers/smart apps there is no "programming" involved at all.
V2. I use it too, and enjoy it. It has value, and I like the doodling, the repeated lengthy visits to github. It just requires lots of work to do anything beyond basic automations. And it does have large scale failures on a regular basis. So for those just getting their feet wet with this stuff who have no need for automations, I would not recommend it.

DParker

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »
V2. I use it too, and enjoy it. It has value, and I like the doodling, the repeated lengthy visits to github. It just requires lots of work to do anything beyond basic automations. And it does have large scale failures on a regular basis. So for those just getting their feet wet with this stuff who have no need for automations, I would not recommend it.

For those who at least have no need (at least not immediately) for "anything beyond basic automations" the warning about "more effort programming it than you do simply getting up and tossing the switch" is irrelevant, as it doesn't apply to them.  But if/when they do decide to do something more advanced that capability will be there in the platform they already have and are familiar with.  So use of the hub can be as simple or as complex as your needs/wants dictate.

As for the large-scale failures, yes...there has been a dismaying history of that.  But things have become much more stable as of late, and many users (myself included) have never been subject to the major outages of the past (they tended to be localized to hubs that were connected to a subset of ST servers).  Besides, other platforms haven't been immune to that sort of thing either.  Ask the thousands of Wink users who had their hubs completely bricked by a firmware update.

russw

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »
I have eight wemo switches and not a problem with any of them.  I have a wink hub for my many cree and ge link bulbs (around 14).  and I have a philips hue hub with  five color changing bulbs.  I also have a honeywell thermostat which does not need a hub. 

getting started can be very confusing.  one thing, this is one area you really need to do your homework before purchasing anything.   I have had to make several returns because of incompatibility with the echo and been burned by tcp connected when they discontinued their connected service.  I had almost 20 of their bulbs that had to be replaced.  The best place I found to check for compatibility issues is amazon.  They will specifically mention if the device will work with the echo and what hubs it is compatible with in the description.

I just got an echo dot and got it working with my Wink hub this weekend without issue.   Everything renegade600 says is spot on with my two plus year experience with home automation stuff.

The moral of the story being do your homework on compatibility issues before you buy

mollyshark

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 08:23:11 am »
Right now I have a Lutron home light set up that allows for 5 stations in a room.  For each button on the switch, it controls a pre-set bank of lights in the room (group 1 is center kitchen island, group 2 is kitchen cooking area, group 6, all lights on full).  I want to slowly start changing these out for voice control.  Has anyone seen a smart switch that can be used with this kind of system or is that still to come?

m