Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

To everyone who keeps asking, "Why doesn't the Echo..."

LoveMyEcho

To everyone who keeps asking, "Why doesn't the Echo..."
« on: July 15, 2015, 04:24:58 pm »
...the Echo was designed to be a platform and communications hub, not a complete, turnkey technology solution. It's like a laptop computer with an operating system installed, but no other software. It's up to other companies to write the software, and Amazon's made it as easy as possible for them to do so. Here's my post about it, which includes links to Amazon's Echo developer resources and an explanation of why Amazon's choice to make the Echo a platform is actually better for consumers:
http://lovemyecho.com/2015/07/15/why-doesnt-the-echo/

George Jetson

Re: To everyone who keeps asking, "Why doesn't the Echo..."
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 08:37:42 pm »
April, well Said.  Echo is just the beginning.  As more developers / companies jump on board it will be a great device for households.  Can't wait to see what's next for Echo

LoveMyEcho

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »
I get so frustrated with the unrealistic expectations sometimes, and people saying they're disappointed because it's nothing but a fancy bluetooth speaker. It is SO much more than that, but outside companies and services have to pick up the ball Amazon has given them and start running with it.

aboyce64

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 11:33:27 am »
So if your smart phone came with an open platform for developers to create anything you want and you had to wait for them to hopefully develop the app need to make a phone call you would think this is ok !!!!

LoveMyEcho

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:20:08 pm »
aboyce - not a fair comparison at all. A smartphone is built with certain minimum, required functionality that is actually quite extensive.

The Echo is not a turnkey, standalone piece of tech the way a smartphone is, and given that the product pages have never promised any more functionality than what the Echo currently supports, I don't see why anyone should be upset about everything it doesn't do.

I mean, I don't buy a smartphone and then get angry about the fact that it can't make coffee.

Talisman

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:40 am »
my smartphone starts the coffee pot so its a start. damn Wemo

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 11:01:13 am »
my smartphone starts the coffee pot so its a start. damn Wemo

Yes, but does it do the dirty dishes afterwards?...
LOL!!

Talisman

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:11 am »
No but I just knock the dishes on the floor and the Roomba sweeps them up and then I order more dishes with my dash button from Amazon. HAHAHA