Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How do you register a Gifted Echo Dot?

crabjoe

How do you register a Gifted Echo Dot?
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:10:32 pm »
I gifted an Echo Dot to a friend of mine, but he hasn't received it yet. 

Before I ordered it, it stated that because it was a gift, it would not be registered to me.  It got shipped today and what I noticed was that it's showing registered to me, in my Alexa app.  Is this a problem?

When he gets it, can he just go through the setup process with the Alexa app and have it registered to him, or should I de-register it now before he gets it?

Can someone tell me the proper procedure?

BTW, If I want a 2nd Echo Dot at another location ... as in a different wifi network, should I go through the setup process here at home 1st or can I just take it over to my kids place and do the setup there as part of my account?

Thanks! 

DParker

Re: How do you register a Gifted Echo Dot?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »
1) I would not de-register the gifted Dot from your Amazon account until your friend receives it, just to be safe.  After he receives it then you can de-register it and he can just take it from there.

2) You can just set up your new Dot at the location where it is going to be used.

mike27oct

Re: How do you register a Gifted Echo Dot?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:10:30 am »
I had a similar question I asked Echo support about after I bought a 6-pack of Dots; three to give as gifts.  I was concerned they would be on my account when set up, but I was told by Amazon Echo support that they would not be setup on my home network or attributed to my account, so the owner would need to install the app and put in their Amazon account name and password, and when they did that and set up the Dot it would be officially registered in their name on their account.

I probably should check with the gift recipients to see how the setup went, and of course, I could check my own app to see if it has new Dots on it since the last one I installed; just to be sure!