Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Newbie with a few questions

philupnorth

Newbie with a few questions
« on: December 23, 2016, 06:22:56 pm »
Hi everyone

I bought my dot a few days and have an understanding of the basics (I am in my 50's so I don't understand some terminology others might think is basic stuff) but I'm interested in more advanced control.

I also bought a harmony hub and have alexa connected to it and have it controlling my panasonic tv, onkyo receiver and med8ter streamer. I spent most of the afternoon playing with both and setting up ifttt applets for a few things.

I've also ordered a roku 2 and now i need a little help. I know if I want to listen to music on the dot I would have to get a subscription service with amazon or spotify for example as all I can get without is radio but I want to listen without subscription if possible. When I get the roku I know I can connect it with alexa and as the roku can access youtube, can i create an activity to get alexa to switch on the onkyo, roku and get the roku to go to youtube and start playing my youtube playlist or play songs by asking for them calling the activity "play youtube" to do it for me?

Another thing I want to do is connect alexa to the receiver but the bluetooth adapter I have plugged into the aux input can't be found by alexa although my galaxy s5 can connect to it. Would the logitech wireless speaker adapter work with alexa or is there a different adapter out there that is compatible?

My eventual plan is to get a smartthings hub and have as much as possible controlled by voice including locking doors but not being able to unlock a door for security

Alpha Bitch

Re: Newbie with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:55:41 pm »
If you cannot find the answers on DOT's Troubleshooting website, suggest you CALL Dot's Customer Relations department 1-877-375-9365 for detailed instructions.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 10:19:10 pm »
>>>   When I get the roku I know I can connect it with alexa

Not true.  I have both, and it cannot be done.  The only devices like Roku that can be controlled by Alexa is a Amazon Fire TV (I have this, too.)

>>>  Another thing I want to do is connect alexa to the receiver but the bluetooth adapter I have plugged into the aux input can't be found by alexa

Did you go through the app and select a new device to pair to?  Also, I have a Dot directly connected to my receiver using an audio cable adapter for L and R channels.  Of course, the Echo cannot be used for Alexa unless it is going into stereo, but that's fine for me since I have multiple Dots, etc.

Spend some time at this Amazon link for more info:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_ss_v3_ds_t4?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

Found again under Help at first Amazon page.

philupnorth

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 08:01:52 am »
I'm surprised that I cant control the roku with alexa as read here it can be done but I'm waiting for the roku to arrive before I get the skill

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-amazon-alexa

I have so much to learn about smart control & just bought the smartthings starter kit as I found it on offer in early Christmas sales.

I've sorted the problem with not connecting to the receiver, I have 2 dots & hadn't connected the second dot to the bluetooth audio receiver as its in a different room Doh

philupnorth

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 08:05:29 am »
Theres something else I would like to do, I've seen videos on youtube where someone says "alexa turn on tv" where at the moment I have to say "alexa tell harmony to turn on tv"

Does anyone know how I can shorten the command please

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 08:15:26 am »
Theres something else I would like to do, I've seen videos on youtube where someone says "alexa turn on tv" where at the moment I have to say "alexa tell harmony to turn on tv"

not unless all you want to do is to turn the tv on/off.  I have a wemo switch that I use for all of my tvs so all say is "alexa turn off tv"  I cannot use a harmony hub since I am a cord cutter

Offline kevb

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:40:54 am »

When using that phrase, people aren't using the official Harmony skill- they are likely using an Alexa-compatible home automation hub connected to a Harmony Hub.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 02:03:00 pm »
To OP: using a Harmony along with Alexa to control a Roku is a different situation.  The Roku likely has a Harmony app, but it does not have an Alexa app.

Offline kevb

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 05:10:37 pm »
To OP: using a Harmony along with Alexa to control a Roku is a different situation.  The Roku likely has a Harmony app, but it does not have an Alexa app.

Mike is correct, you can use the Echo to request a Harmony activity to control the Roku. You just have to set up each activity through the Harmony first.

jim1590

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 01:29:43 pm »
Regarding the Roku and Harmony Hub.

I researched this a bunch before I ordered my dot. Just came in today and I will be adding lights before integrating the TV control.

I currently have a Logitech Harmony remote. With this remote, I set up an action plan based upon what button I press for an activity. Watch TV has the steps to Turn On the TV, Turn on the A/V Receiver, Set the Input on the A/V Receiver to Sat, Turn on the DirectTV Receiver and bring up the DirectTV specific remote commands on the visual Display of the remote.

Watch Roku does all of the same except the input is set to Roku on the A/V receiver and the Roku is woken from sleep. The Roku specific remote commands then come up for the soft keys. Same with the Blu-Ray, same with the Xbox. If the TV is already on watching whatever, pushing the activity button will change to that new activity without turning the TV or A/V off.

The Hub will do the same thing as the remote, using your smartphone as the physical remote. Hooking the Harmony Hub into Alexia, you can verbalize the commands to the Echo which will pass it onto the Harmony Hub.

OP, once you set up the Roku in the Harmony portal, you should be able to command the universal remote (Harmony Hub) to run the action plans you set up. Be sure to head over to the Roku forums, they are a good bunch over there.
https://forums.roku.com/

Drawbridgep

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 01:23:08 pm »
I also have an echo and harmony hub and a Roku.   Along with a receiver.   There are two harmony skills.   One,  the older one require you to say " alexa,  tell harmony to.... "to which let's you turn up the volume on the receiver.   But echo does now support the harmony directly with the newer app.   So,  I can say Alexa,  turn on the Roku and it will power on the TV,  receiver and switch to the correct input for the Roku.   I also have it set so I can say alexa  turn on Netflix and it turns on the TV,  switches input and goes to the Netflix channel on Roku.

I would suggest forgetting about Alexa to start with.   Set up the harmony hub first.   It will find your Wi-Fi devices and set those up.   Set up your cable box and TV (ifnits not supported on Wi-Fi)  And favourite channels.   Make sure everything works through the harmony app.  Then go to the  echo, install both harmony skills, click smart home,  discover devices and it will set up all your Roku channels and the cable box favourites .

I can say Alexa,  turn on the discovery channel.   And it will.  Turn on Netflix and it will. Switching to the correct receiver inputs as well.

Some things do require you today Alexa,  tell harmony to....   Such as pause the movie,  mute the volume etc.

But I can confirm it works.