Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo connecting to desktop

L1011thewidebody

Echo connecting to desktop
« on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:55 am »
last night my echo dot woke me from sleep announcing "Now connecting to desktop AQ something something"
has anybody else experienced this? i immediately disconnected the power to all of my echos, smart home wireless devices, and changed my amazon password. i checked and nothing unrecognized was connected to my system wirelessly.

Re: Echo connecting to desktop
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 11:50:03 am »
did you check your alexa history in settings to see what was said?  sometimes the echo will pick up other sounds and activate itself.  maybe it was trying to connect via bluetooth to some device. 

DParker

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »
I have a working hypothesis that there's a bug in the Alexa server code that causes it to...once in a great while...direct output to the wrong IP address, and therefor the wrong Echo/Dot/Tap.  I have nothing to base this on other than the occasional reporting of this symptom coupled with 30+ years of software development experience, but it would certainly explain this issue.  Of course, if the Alexa devices are designed such that they're incapable of receiving and/or rendering unsolicited output (ie, they simply ignore any audio data from the server unless they're expecting it due to some on-going user-initiated action) then that would kill my hypothesis.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 01:34:44 pm »
This sounds very familiar to my early thread about Alexa talking in her sleep.  It turned out that I had left a computer running with Bluetooth turned on from previously playing music from PC to Alexa. This is most likely what happened to the OP.

So, this is a good time to mention to new owners that when playing with a BT device and Alexa, turn both BTs off when finished to prevent auto-starting and surprising BT interruptions.

No need to change password, etc.  No one is breaking into your Amazon account!  Alexa was just notifying you it was connecting to the name of your BT device.