Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Ordering specific items via Alexa??

jag88

Ordering specific items via Alexa??
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:13:39 pm »
So it seems to me that the Alexa ordering feature is half baked at best. I have the app connected to my account, have the pin, billing and shipping info selected. And I see the "Alexa Shopping" list both on the app and when logged into the browser.

So I tried adding an item to the Alexa shopping list, I wanted to add hair conditioner. So I added it to the list expecting to then be allowed to select which specific item I want it to order when I tell it to order "hair conditioner". But it didn't! It just lists "hair conditioner" in the shopping list, wtf? I read that it looks to your previous order list first to select the item it will order... but that is so dumb. I have ordered 15 different kinds of conditioner trying to find one that helped with my frizzy hair and now that I know which one I like I only want to order that specific one, every time.

To be honest it makes me scared to even try the ordering feature at all because I might not get what I want.

Does anyone know how to define specific orders?

DParker

Re: Ordering specific items via Alexa??
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:55:05 pm »
Have you tried including the specific name of the product you want when you say, "Alexa, order {name-of-item-here}"?

jag88

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:59:55 pm »
Have you tried including the specific name of the product you want when you say, "Alexa, order {name-of-item-here}"?

No, but I would rather not have to remember "Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner for Dry and Damaged Hair, 8.45 oz" every time I want to order it... you know what I mean? It only makes sense to be able to assign that to the "Hair Conditioner" item on my Alexa shopping list. I mean as far as I can tell the "Alexa shopping list" does absolutely nothing...

DParker

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:05:58 pm »
Well, for starters, the "Alexa shopping list" is a separate thing and is not connected to your Amazon shopping list(s) in any way, so it sounds like there's some confusion there on your part.
No, but I would rather not have to remember "Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner for Dry and Damaged Hair, 8.45 oz" every time I want to order it... you know what I mean? It only makes sense to be able to assign that to the "Hair Conditioner" item on my Alexa shopping list. I mean as far as I can tell the "Alexa shopping list" does absolutely nothing...

OK, I think I see the source of the confusion.  The "Alexa Shopping List" is not used as a selection source when ordering via your Echo/Dot.  You may end up adding items to that list using that method so that you can later use that list to do your own shopping, but Alexa does not consult it when ordering.  See this Amazon help page for details:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201807210

jag88

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »
Well, for starters, the "Alexa shopping list" is a separate thing and is not connected to your Amazon shopping list(s) in any way, so it sounds like there's some confusion there on your part.

OK, I think I see the source of the confusion.  The "Alexa Shopping List" is not used as a selection source when ordering via your Echo/Dot.  You may end up adding items to that list using that method so that you can later use that list to do your own shopping, but Alexa does not consult it when ordering.  See this Amazon help page for details:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201807210

Well yea I gathered that the Alexa Shopping List actually doesn't do anything at all, no idea what its purpose is. So my question is this then. If I put that item in my normal shopping list will Alexa look there first or will it look at my previous order history first?

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:48:15 pm »

Well yea I gathered that the Alexa Shopping List actually doesn't do anything at all, no idea what its purpose is. So my question is this then. If I put that item in my normal shopping list will Alexa look there first or will it look at my previous order history first?

actually the shopping list does a lot if you know how to use it, apparently you don't.   I have mine sent to my smartwatch when going to the store.  whole lot easier than carrying the phone or carrying around a printed copy.