Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to get Alexa to play an album/artist I know is in Prime Music

lennon2

Yesterday's Prime member newletter promoted "an all-new Amazon Music Original album, "Acoustic Christmas," featuring Train, Eric Hutchinson, Zella Day and more." But when I ask Alexa to play that album, she always plays Acoustic Christmas by Neil Diamond.

How do I get her to play the one Amazon is promoting?

I click on the link in the email and go to a page with a "Listen Now" link that will only play it through my PC headphones.

Can I output such a link to Alexa instead? This would be so much more useful than wrestling to communicate with Alexa when she says she doesn't have music I can clearly see on a search of Prime Music.

Thanks. I'm souring on Echo because of these struggles.

DParker

Re: How to get Alexa to play an album/artist I know is in Prime Music
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:48:17 pm »
Did you add the album to your library?

lennon2

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:15 pm »
Did you add the album to your library?
Thanks for replying.

I just want to hear it before I do that, since there is no link to add the album there (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N97RMW2), so each of its 29 songs have to be added individually (and then removed if they're awful). I also subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited, so I didn't expect to have to add everything to my library just to listen to it. This isn't really easy, is it?

DParker

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:33:51 pm »
I just want to hear it before I do that, since there is no link to add the album there (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N97RMW2), so each of its 29 songs have to be added individually (and then removed if they're awful).

I use the Amazon Music app, which does allow you to add the entire album at once.

lennon2

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:42:37 pm »
I use the Amazon Music app, which does allow you to add the entire album at once.

I would have to use the app on my PC, which makes no sense to me, can it even be done?
(I read elsewhere that on the app, you can pick an artist but only get a random shuffle of songs, not a specific album. Is that true?)

Ideally, I'd be able to change my Amazon site settings to use Echo as my speaker. Is that doable? (Searching, Googling, I can't be the first one to want to push music to Echo, can I? Others must want to use the pause and other functions but not struggle to make Alexa understand requests.)

lennon2

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:35:06 am »
Okay, after some more noodling around I find that at http://alexa.amazon.com I can select the Echo and then the Music and Books sidebar link to see my music library and Amazon playlists and stations, Pandora, etc.

And there, at Amazon Music --> Playlists --> Genres --> Holiday was that Acoustic Christmas "album." I couldn't back out of that string, btw. Had to hit the sidebar link for Music & Books and start back at the top.

So, theoretically, the answer to my original question is "sort of." 

(The artists links are indeed random shuffles of music, as though you'd told Alexa to "Play Dexter Gordon.")