Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Live in Canada with an echo dot - how can I get it to work?

netrate

Live in Canada with an echo dot - how can I get it to work?
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:26:21 pm »
I have the amazon echo dot.  I want to get it running in Canada.
I was told to download the amazon app store and get the app from there.
A couple of questions :
1) if I set it up with my pc, it says it needs to have access to my router and password -why is that?
2) When I install the app, it says it needs access to my passwords, accounts, all kind of things on my phone, why is that?

Offline jwlv

Re: Live in Canada with an echo dot - how can I get it to work?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 05:57:37 pm »
I have the amazon echo dot.  I want to get it running in Canada.
I was told to download the amazon app store and get the app from there.
A couple of questions :
1) if I set it up with my pc, it says it needs to have access to my router and password -why is that?
2) When I install the app, it says it needs access to my passwords, accounts, all kind of things on my phone, why is that?

Just like any device that needs to connect to your WiFi whether it's a tablet, a phone, a laptop, or a Roku, the Echo needs to know your WiFi password in order to connect to it. The app makes this process easier because you don't have to type in the password. Instead, it asks for permission to use the same password that's already stored on your phone because your phone already has that password.

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 06:06:14 pm »
The app makes this process easier because you don't have to type in the password. Instead, it asks for permission to use the same password that's already stored on your phone because your phone already has that password.

Mine always need the password to be typed in, now I'm wondering why.

netrate

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:17:05 pm »
Ok, that makes sense.  I was thinking they are storing the info in the amazon cloud and thus giving a way in for people hacking the router.  I also didn't really like the privacy policy and how they needed so much access to everything on the phone and the computer. Why would it need so much?

netrate

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:03:35 pm »
How about the APK on the android phone?  Has anyone had any success with it?  I know it is not from trusted sites, so how can you tell if it is safe?