Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Voices and distance

Pat NY

Voices and distance
« on: November 27, 2016, 11:55:34 am »
 Good morning,I have just started using a new echo after posting how to get it to work and other problems.It was a quick and easy set up and I am very happy with it.Could someone please tell me-how many voices it will recognize? Also I moved it into another room to see if it would work but couldnt get a response.It was about 15ft away but a wall was in the way-wireless router in on room and echo in another.All my other devices work fine (kindle and Iphones etc)but alexa would not answer.Thanks for the help
Pat

strayfish

Re: Voices and distance
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:22:48 pm »
I don't think it distinguishes between voices so anyone at all can speak to it if they know the wake word. It was certainly responsive to my friends when they were interrogating it about its origins and whether or not it knew Siri and Cortana personally!

Distance - that depends on how much other noise there is around (the kettle boiling, microwave on, its own volume) and whether there's something between it and the person speaking. If you were calling it from another room and it didn't respond, that's likely to be its ability to pick up the sound rather than the wifi connection. If that's an issue, a remote can be handy - pair it to the device and you can access it over a greater distance.

Snafs

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 12:38:08 pm »
Oh my.

If only the Echo recognised YOUR voice, then, as it knew it was you, would play back your music, tell you YOUR appointments, add things to YOUR shopping list, and allowed you to set YOUR reminders.

So different members of the family could use it in that way

And a passing stranger or intruder would be ignored as they did not recognise them.

How amazing would that be.

Of course that is how it SHOULD BE.  But isn't....

One day perhaps. IF, Google Home was ever able to do this, OMG Amazon should start to panic.

Pat NY

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:05:15 pm »
 Are you better off getting an echo dot or a remote to be able to use the echo in another partm of the house as I mentioned above
Thanks
Pat

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:30:00 pm »
Are you better off getting an echo dot or a remote to be able to use the echo in another partm of the house as I mentioned above
Thanks
Pat

I have an Echo and two Dots - the Echo is in the kitchen, one Dot is in the bedroom, the other is in the living room. The Echo is the one I use most but, because of the layout of my house, I'm almost always some distance from it and the volume is up so I use the remote to save me yelling at it like a kid who won't come in for its tea! It's a handy addition to the suite of gizmos rather than a substitute for one of them.