Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Design change - Removable Speaker Base - My Idea

Snafs

Design change - Removable Speaker Base - My Idea
« on: November 26, 2016, 04:38:39 am »
Just had a thought, so wondered what you would feel if my thought was a reality:

Amazon have a design re-think:

The current Echo full model is scrapped.

The Dot, has a tiny redesign, simply by adding some contacts on the base and a recessed screw/turn connection in the base.

Ok, so now, you sell the Dot for £50 as always.

But you also sell three optional speaker bases.

The 1st one for £50 is approx half the height of the current full echo, you push and twist and this if now connected, with a single better speaker inside. the whole unit, once connected is about half the height of a current Echo.

The 2nd one for £100 is almost the same height as the current Echo, and when connected brings the combination up to the current Echo height, and sounds approx the same as it has 2 speakers.

The 3rd for £150 has 3 speakers, Bass, Mid, Treble, and when connected to the new Dot, is about 2" to 3" taller than the current Echo, but with better sound quality/range.

You can then sell tons of Dots.

Stop needing the also make Echo's

And offer these 3 speaker bases, that have the potential of at least one base being sold to every Dot owner, either now or in the future, perhaps even to a second hand buyer of a Dot, who in the future wants their Dot to have better sound.

Simple, Easy, Great for customers, Long term sales potential, answers all price brackets.

What do you think ?  :)

Offline jwlv

Re: Design change - Removable Speaker Base - My Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 06:09:33 am »
Great idea! I'd buy at least a few of the bases for my 6 Echo Dots.

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 07:00:44 am »
Incorporate a charger for portability and I'd certainly buy that!

Snafs

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:09:33 am »
Well, fitting a battery in a base is of course another issue.
How long a battery can last powering a proper speaker, as opposed to a phone/tablet type speaker I don't know.

Or course they won't do it, but I could suggest it to echo/amazon

Do they have a contact name/number/address for such things? customer ideas/feedback?

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 07:19:53 am »
I have one for the Echo tower, it seems to last about 4 hours whether you're playing anything or not because it's always on. It lets me take it places in the house where a cable would be inconvenient or hazardous.

Offline kevb

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 10:04:43 am »
So Amazon would need to design, manufacture and sell 4 items instead of two to accomplish the same goal? Considering the amount of bluetooth speakers out there, I don't see this happening.

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 11:46:21 am »
I have one for the Echo tower, it seems to last about 4 hours whether you're playing anything or not because it's always on. It lets me take it places in the house where a cable would be inconvenient or hazardous.
Just to update - it played untethered from 9 am to 4 pm today and I think when it went off, that was to do with my messing around with the wifi. The battery level still showed 2 of 4 lights.

Snafs

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 02:52:35 pm »
So Amazon would need to design, manufacture and sell 4 items instead of two to accomplish the same goal? Considering the amount of bluetooth speakers out there, I don't see this happening.

Well, one can argue that :)

One could also argue, making just the one echo would be easier. Selling the Dot only means way more ownership as it's known for its price.
Then, every single Dot owner ever is a potential add-on speaker customer for you. For ever. Be that the 1st, 2nd or 3rd+ owner of the Dot over the next x years.

It was just a thought :)

I know you could buy other brands, but if there is an official one (choice of three) that connected perfectly and looked like one sleek unit I would imagine it would be a more popular add on.

But hey, what the hell do I know :)
Was just an idea :)

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 06:06:43 pm »
Never stop having ideas - nothing ever happens unless someone imagines it happening :)