Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot, A/V receiver, iPhone/iPad

ratbatblue

Dot, A/V receiver, iPhone/iPad
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
I'm new to this world. I bought an Echo and a Dot. I have the Echo running now and haven't unboxed the Dot yet. I like the Echo, but I think all I need is the Dot. I want to use its line-out to an Aux input on my Yamaha receiver, then connect my iPhone/iPad to the Dot using Bluetooth and be able to tell Alexa "Play xxx" and have the song play through my home audio speakers. Is this possible?

mike27oct

Re: Dot, A/V receiver, iPhone/iPad
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:53:46 pm »
You are so new at this, you haven't even unboxed and set up all your stuff yet.  You need to use and get familiar with your new toys.  So bookmark and refer to this Amazon link which displays all the Echo gadgets you have installed and help files for each of them.  Right now, all you should see is the Echo, and when you have the Dot setup you will see it, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_ss_v3_ds_t4?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

About the only control you have with your iPhone and iPad is what you can do with the installed Alexa app on them both, and it really does not include all what you mention doing with music.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:58:19 pm by mike27oct »

Kyle76

Re: Dot, A/V receiver, iPhone/iPad
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:20:30 pm »
Yes, Echo and Dot can do what you ask, but a big question involves where the music is coming from: Amazon, Pandora, your phone, somewhere else?  If you simply want to stream music from your phone to your receiver, you might simply want a Bluetooth receiver hooked up to your A/V receiver.  If you are streaming from the web, then the Echo/Dot is a very good way to do this (and much more).  Provide some more details about what you are trying to accomplish.