Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Pairing a bluetooth transmitter to Echo

JoseHebron

Pairing a bluetooth transmitter to Echo
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:19:05 pm »
I have a generic bluetooth transmitter connected to my TV audio out and am trying to pair it with my Echo.  Since I'm not using a phone or tablet, I can't "select" the echo as my bluetooth speaker.  How can I pair it.  When I ask Alexa to pair, it tells me to use my device to "select" the echo.

Has anyone done this?  Any ideas?

DParker

Re: Pairing a bluetooth transmitter to Echo
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:53:06 pm »
I have a generic bluetooth transmitter connected to my TV audio out and am trying to pair it with my Echo.  Since I'm not using a phone or tablet, I can't "select" the echo as my bluetooth speaker.  How can I pair it.  When I ask Alexa to pair, it tells me to use my device to "select" the echo.

Has anyone done this?  Any ideas?

Your BT device must implement at least version 2.1 of the Bluetooth specification in order to pair with the Echo, as Echo uses the Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) mechanism that was introduced in that version of the spec.  Do you have documentation for your device that gives you this information?

JoseHebron

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:27:47 am »
It's bluetooth 4.1.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »
It's bluetooth 4.1.

Then it certainly should work.  Try using the Alexa mobile app to initiate pairing instead of the voice interface and see if that works.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:30:18 pm »
Since your Echo has not been connected to BT, try this easy way to connect:

With the BT transmitter and Echo close to one another:
Say, "Alexa, pair bluetooth" and it will reply. "pairing bluetooth"
Turn on your BT transmitter and put it into pairing mode, and it should pair the two devices rather quickly, and Alexa will say. "Bluetooth paired".

Next time you use them. just turn on the transmitter and the Echo should connect right away without needing pairing again.

JoseHebron

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 10:13:17 am »
Mike,

I tried that.  Alexa tells me to select the echo speaker on my phone/table.

I also tried using the app with not luck.