Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Shortcut phrases

perilous1

Shortcut phrases
« on: November 13, 2016, 04:03:09 pm »
I've done searches and I am surprised not to find any clear-cut skills out there for the Echo that allow shortcut phrases.

In particular I have a Vivint home security and automation system and I can use the Echo to turn on the lights in my living room with the phrase "Alexa, tell Vivint to turn on the lights in the living room".

I was hoping to find a ready-made skill out there to simply change that trigger to something more like "Alexa, lights on".

Any one know of a skill like that?

Snafs

Re: Shortcut phrases
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »
I've done searches and I am surprised not to find any clear-cut skills out there for the Echo that allow shortcut phrases.

In particular I have a Vivint home security and automation system and I can use the Echo to turn on the lights in my living room with the phrase "Alexa, tell Vivint to turn on the lights in the living room".

Yes I know and I don't understand why.
It seems that devices that are controlled by some hub/system themselves need you to say the name of the hub/system first, then what you want it to do.

I have Hive Heating, and I have to ask Alexa to ask Hive to adjust my heating.
I can understand the logistics of this, but really I don't see why it could not be hidden from the user.

I was hoping to find a ready-made skill out there to simply change that trigger to something more like "Alexa, lights on".

Any one know of a skill like that?

k9kids

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:20:41 pm »
I use an Echo to turn Insteon lights on/off in the family room by saying "Alexa, family room on/off."

fstbusa

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:29:42 am »
You're probably stuck with the type of automation system you use.  I use Smartthings and I can say Alexa, turn on Kitchen Lights or Alexa, turn off Basement Lights.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 05:29:15 pm »
what type of bulbs does Vivint use?  depending on the brand, you may be able to use them separately from the vivint system.