Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Push Notifications

dahur1

Push Notifications
« on: November 11, 2016, 06:27:17 pm »
I just read with some excitement we may be getting push notification capability for Alexa. I'm sure they'll come up with a way to customize what we want, or don't want to be notified with.
This is a huge step if they do it, and I'm very much looking forward to it.
It would also be great if we could custom phrase what we wanted to hear, but I'd be happy just to get canned phrases, rather than nothing at all.

My old X10 set up notified me with custom phrases, I could even put in wav files as a response. But my X10 system was clunky and the devices didn't work all the time. My Smartthings with mostly Z-Wave is running 100%. 

I don't think it would be annoying at all for Alexa to talk whenever something happened. But that's me.  I'd want to know anytime if the door or window was opening. Or if I left the garage door up. Or someone was at the front door.

DParker

Re: Push Notifications
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »
Link?

dahur1

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:49:11 pm »
If you google search "push notifications for amazon echo", there are at least a couple dozen links. Here's just one:
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-echo-might-introduce-push-notifications/

I e-mailed amazon echo support, and they replied that although there are plans to do this, they couldn't comment on when it would be.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:51:12 pm by dahur1 »

DParker

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:19:57 pm »
I was aware of that one because it's over two months old.  I asked if you had a link because I thought perhaps it sounded as though you'd come across something current.