Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How do you get echo dot to play classical music?

How do you get echo dot to play classical music?
« on: November 11, 2016, 03:17:10 pm »
I wanted to hear the overture to La Gazza Ladro by Rossini.  Seems like a simple enough request.  It plays all the pop music I want to hear, but when I switch gears, it fails.  I tried asking for the english title - The Thieving Magpie- didn't help.  I kept getting pop versions of stuff. 

So what's the trick?  (assuming it's possible)  Does it just have to learn my taste (very eclectic)  I signed up for Unlimited, so I'm assuming that there is a recording of what I want to hear out there somewhere.

TIA
Z

Kyle76

Re: How do you get echo dot to play classical music?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 03:27:33 pm »
I tried a few.  "Alexa, play the album, Rossini Overtures" worked.

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:36:32 pm »
Worked for me in Spotify.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:47:43 pm »
I tried a few.  "Alexa, play the album, Rossini Overtures" worked.

Thanks, that did work.  I got more than I intended, but at least I heard it.
Z

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:44:24 pm »
I like to play classical music from Tunein Radio, so I dial up one of the most respected classical stations in the US called KUSC.  Undoubtedly, there are others here and abroad.

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:42:56 am »
I also listen to classical music on TuneIn. I hadn't come across KUSC before but have it playing now. The ones I use regularly are All Classical Portland, WQXR, WCPE and King FM Symphonic Channel (for that, you have to say "play K-I-N-G-F-M-S-D-3).

It is very hard to get specific tracks from Amazon Music, and the only way to get a symphony is to set up a playlist or ask for an album.

AlanH

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 05:11:33 am »
Great suggestion and thanks. KUSC is now in my TuneIn Favourites list.

Jake

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 11:12:24 am »
Note: I am in the UK.

"Alexa, play La gazza ladra" worked for me. It came up with a version played by the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini on an album entitled "The Classic Experience" (see link directly below). Obviously, I lucked out because I didn't even mention "overture". I then asked for "Alexa, play La gazza ladra, overture" and came up with the same result.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Experience-greatest-classical-tracks/dp/B007XTUZZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1478967261&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=the+classic+experience

In Prime, the entire work is available on this album:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rossini-Bordogna-Kleopatra-Papatheologou-Dimitry/dp/B00BCVVLGS

I also just found this rather excellent work, once again in Prime (I bought this for the amazingly low price of £5.55 in 2013):

Rossini: Complete Overtures Box set
Academy of St. Martin in the Fields (Artist), Neville Marriner (Artist)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00009KV0W/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:23:03 am by Jake »

mindmagic

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 04:12:32 am »
I think Alexa also struggles with foreign language titles and names of the less familiar composers.

Mihinc

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:11:44 am »
She played and it worked well for me.