Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon TAP setup doesn't complete

vinceecho

Amazon TAP setup doesn't complete
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:01:11 am »
Tried searching to see it this has been asked before...but to no avail

I've got an Echo, and it set up fine. However, I've now got a Tap and the setup never completes. Tap goes into setup mode, Alexa App tries to connect...the Tap DOES say 'connected' but the ability to complete in the Alexa app never happens, I just get a spinning wheel....anyone else experienced this??

Many thanks

Vince

Re: Amazon TAP setup doesn't complete
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:10:07 am »
Is there a pinhole reset button on the bottom? Press that with a paperclip for 5 seconds, then uninstall and re-insall the App and try again. If that doesn't work, call Echo Support.
-Paul.

vinceecho

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 10:13:08 am »
The Tap reset is the wifi/bluetooth button and the 'previous track' button for 12 seconds at the same time! I tried that a couple of times AND uninstalled the app, but no joy unfortunately, strange that it gets halfway there, so wifi IS working on the device but it can't complete the setup for some strange reason.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 10:14:50 am »
Ah, okay. I didn't know how to reset the Tap. Sorry about that. :) Yeah, definitely call Echo Support and see if they can figure it out.
-Paul.

Stevens71

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:07 am »
Hi Vince,
  Did you ever get this sorted? I've just bought an Amazon Tap and I've got exactly the same problem. I've tried everything - resetting and using different apps to setup (Pc, Android, ios) and nothing works. I'm lost what to do now really !!!!

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:11:59 pm »
Before actually resetting a Tap. learn how to completely turn it OFF (i.e. remove power) instead..  To do this, hold the back side power button in for about three seconds until you hear the three tones.  Release it.  This is equivalent of "unplugging" an Echo or Dot.  Now, press power button once to turn Tap on and reboot it from scratch.  This solves many issues.  I also turn off power rather than keeping Tap in standby mode to completely save battery when I want to; which is most of the time when not being used. 

If you only want standby mode, press power button in once if unit was on, but battery drain will occur since standby uses battery power.