Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Slight Grumble - How difficult can it be to create a good Alarm after 2 years ?

Snafs

Ok, I will admit this is a bit of a grumble/moan, as it's the type of thing you look at, have a think and think to yourself.
'Really. No one at the Echo team has the simple common sense to get this right?'

I'm speaking of the Alarm function, or lack of.

I'm comparing this amazing echo device, with 2 years development against things you can buy from a cheap electrical store for just a few dollars/pounds

A decent and flexible alarm clock.

This the type of function, almost every single Echo in the bedroom user would wish to be good, a simple basic, task to get right.

1: Why is there no Radio or Music alarm?

Any cheap clock radio or music player will wake you up by turning on the radio or playing some music you have selected.
This should be simple. But all we have is a notification noise.

That's grumble number one :)

grumble number 2 is the repeat alarm flexibility.
It's ALMOST good, but lacking one key area, that my cheap little Nokia candybar phone can do. that is to tick or un-tick days.

On the echo you can have weekends, all weekdays, or individual weekdays.
But you cannot, for example, tick Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, but not tick Wednesday, Sat and Sun.

Seems silly they let you select individual days, eg, only Monday, only Tuesday etc, but not select days separately.

Fix that, little thing, and allow you to tell Alexa to play a radio station or some music for the alarm and I'll be a happy bunny :)

AlanH

I was quite surprised to find that it isn't possible to set an alarm that plays a radio station.
"Alexa, at 7.30am play BBC Radio 4". I'd find this useful.

Snafs

I was quite surprised to find that it isn't possible to set an alarm that plays a radio station.
"Alexa, at 7.30am play BBC Radio 4". I'd find this useful.

Indeed, as was I.
Actually when I first got my echo and was experimenting, it was one of the 1st things I tried.
I thought, hey, this is bound to have a great clock/radio function and I tried a command almost exactly the same as the example you gave.
Seems bizarre that the echo team, has never even thought of this, despite Clock Radios having been sold and used for literally decades upon decades.

AlanH

Perhaps Alexa lacks the ability to combine two separate commands - set an alarm, and play a radio station - into a single action? I'm sure it'll come one day.