Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo/Dot as a gift - need for an Amazon account?

strayfish

Echo/Dot as a gift - need for an Amazon account?
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:53:09 am »
I hope this is a daft question because it likely means there's a simple answer. Our small village community is looking into ways of using IT to reduce social isolation in older people and Echo/Dot would seem to be a real candidate with its interactivity and hands-free operation. We'd initially be recruiting users whose families or carers could fund installation of wifi and would have the app on a device of their own if the user wasn't able to manage that. Supposing though that they didn't have an Amazon account and didn't want one - where would the data from the app go, or is it not possible to own the device without an account? Has anyone given one of these devices to someone who didn't use Amazon; if so, how did it work out?

DParker

Re: Echo/Dot as a gift - need for an Amazon account?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:43 am »
Supposing though that they didn't have an Amazon account and didn't want one - where would the data from the app go, or is it not possible to own the device without an account? Has anyone given one of these devices to someone who didn't use Amazon; if so, how did it work out?

Echos/Dots/Taps are useless without Amazon's cloud-based Alexa service, access to which requires an Amazon account.  All that is required a regular (free) Amazon account (Prime not required).

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:50:53 am »
Thanks, I suspected as much but it's helpful to hear from someone else in a way the articulates the reason. Obviously then, we'd have to build that in for people while we're building in maintenance and confidentiality protocols (for users/carers/families) via the app.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 06:00:45 am »
Just FYI, the Amazon Echo isn't really a social A.I. It's really mean more as a tool to play music, and get information. That certainly might be useful for the elderly but I just don't want you to misunderstand what the Echo is really meant for. The Echo can't hold a conversation, for example.
-Paul.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 07:33:03 am »
Yep, I'm aware of that - I have an Echo and two Dots myself so I can see something of what's possible and what isn't. The advantage for some may be the hands-free element for books, news, time checks, timers, radio stations, alarms and the like. Visual impairment is isolating and limiting so a gadget of this kind could provide a route to information and stimulation that many others can't. It's also a voice that does more than just follow an order - say goodnight and it responds with 'good night, sleep tight', say good morning and it responds often with a factoid about the day, occasionally with a shot of humour. It holds a diary, shopping and to-do lists that a carer for instance could access if they host the app - no need to remember to phone with another item for them to pick up. And it tells jokes :)

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 07:43:30 am »
Yep, I'm aware of that - I have an Echo and two Dots myself so I can see something of what's possible and what isn't. The advantage for some may be the hands-free element for books, news, time checks, timers, radio stations, alarms and the like. Visual impairment is isolating and limiting so a gadget of this kind could provide a route to information and stimulation that many others can't. It's also a voice that does more than just follow an order - say goodnight and it responds with 'good night, sleep tight', say good morning and it responds often with a factoid about the day, occasionally with a shot of humour. It holds a diary, shopping and to-do lists that a carer for instance could access if they host the app - no need to remember to phone with another item for them to pick up. And it tells jokes :)

Okay, great. :) Yeah, it is pretty useful!
-Paul.

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 08:49:52 am »
I do feel it's best to think about it as a new pet (or a small zoo) that responds to you but sometimes doesn't do quite what you expect. With three of them, herding cats comes to mind :)

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 08:59:44 am »
I do feel it's best to think about it as a new pet (or a small zoo) that responds to you but sometimes doesn't do quite what you expect. With three of them, herding cats comes to mind :)

I swear, if Alexa pees on the carpet....

:)
-Paul.

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 10:41:52 am »
 ;D

Mihinc

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:21 am »
Supposing though that they didn't have an Amazon account and didn't want one - where would the data from the app go, or is it not possible to own the device without an account? Has anyone given one of these devices to someone who didn't use Amazon; if so, how did it work out?

Echos/Dots/Taps are useless without Amazon's cloud-based Alexa service, access to which requires an Amazon account.  All that is required a regular (free) Amazon account (Prime not required).
  Perfect answer