Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Why the amazon echo is in danger of becoming the next apple watch!

Re: Why the amazon echo is in danger of becoming the next apple watch!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 06:39:29 pm »
Looks like I was wrong! Taken at the last hurdle. Echo is tipped for a UK release on September 14th. If you ask Echo what is happening on the 14th September, she cryptically days she promised she wouldn't tell, but visiting London had always been on her bucket list!

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/02/amazon-alexa-uk/

Cheers,
Alex

sure it is not going to be another harry potter event???  sorry could not resist.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:57:35 am by renegade600 »

Notauser

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 09:24:50 pm »
OP's comment is interesting, I wonder if many others out there feel the same way?

The Apple Watch analogy itself is flawed, but not for the obvious reason. The entire smart watch industry is a classic example of trying to sell a solution for which no problem exists. It's a throwback to the days before everyone carried around a mobile device, and is trapped between the worlds of the shrinking UI, and our current state which is predominantly visual by necessity.

Voice is a whole nother thing altogether, and regardless of how Google Home, or Apple's offerings go, I think there's a market for everyone dependent on whose ecosystem you prefer to play in, much like the smartphone industry.

What Amazon have done very well is they have as others have already mentioned, created a strong developer ecosystem. This is baked into the product and terminology they use, "skills" tells us that the device itself is never intended to be the end state for functionality, rather it's a platform that can be taught and become something its creators may never have dreamed of.

It's a very smart move, and they've aligned it with the technologies of choice for startups and hackers everywhere.

It's an odd move to keep it US only until now, but it's allowed them to test and refine, as well as grow the developer base. Until Google releases Home, or Apple make their play there is no reason to market it outside the US, particularly in areas where Amazon has little presence.

As for the Echo Dot, it's typically bought by those who have an Echo as a companion for another room. If you want a decent speaker, you don't buy the Dot.

mike27oct

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 11:27:09 pm »
Some of us buy a Dot to plug output into the stereo and leave it there.

Yoda_One

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 08:39:54 am »
^I agree. I have very nice Logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker system in the family room which I am using with a Logitech BT receiver hidden in an entertainment furniture to play mainly Prime Playlists. The DOT was the perfect device no need to mess with a Samsung Tablet, BT receiver, plus it closer to the back bedroom to control the the Phillips bulbs.