Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Can Alexa Turn On Lights for x Amt of Time?

Can Alexa Turn On Lights for x Amt of Time?
« on: March 02, 2018, 10:22:37 pm »
For instance, Alexa, turn on the bedroom light for 2 minutes?  I haven't hit on the right phrasing if it can.

Offline jwlv

Re: Can Alexa Turn On Lights for x Amt of Time?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 11:23:46 pm »
As far as I know, Alexa can't do that on its own. But many smart devices have an auto-off timer that you can enable thru the device's app that can turn off after x amount of time.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 11:43:51 pm »
I have one lamp on a timer but I thought it would be good to be able to tell Alexa/GH (GH can't do it yet) to walk in a room and tell your assistant to turn the light on and off in x amt of time if you're just going into a room for a very brief amt of time.

Offline Jerome

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:41:43 am »
I wish I could say something like :
"Alexa, turn off the lights in 5 minutes" to get some sort of timer.
But she can't do that yet either :(
2 Echo (1st gen/3rd gen) - 4 Echo Dots (2nd gen/3rd gen) - 1 Echo Show 5 - 1 Google Home Mini | in France

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:06:57 pm »
I'm sure Amazon can do that but won't.  Turning on/ off smart devices is not reliable at times. At least 10-20% of the time when I ask Alexa to turn off a light she'll say she cannot find the light. Imagine if i asked Alexa to turn off something an hour from now.  And you know someone is going to connect a heater or a electric cooktop to a smart plug and expect Alexa to reliably turn it on or off.  It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:54:59 am »
I did it by doing the following:
1. open the switch app in your phone that controls your light  (I have an eFamilyCloud switch).
2. on eFamilyCloud app, create a new Smart Scene and add the following steps:
a. turn on the switch/light
b. add a timer to turn off the switch light in 60 seconds.
c. name your scene whatever you like (something like "Garage Light 5 minutes")
3. Open Alexa then discover devices and scenes. The new scene should show up in the Alexa app.
4. then simply say: "Alexa: turn on the "Garage Light 5 minutes"
5.This will execute your scene created in eFamilyCloud that tuns on the light and shuts it off in 60 seconds.

Enjoy

Offline Jerome

2 Echo (1st gen/3rd gen) - 4 Echo Dots (2nd gen/3rd gen) - 1 Echo Show 5 - 1 Google Home Mini | in France

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 06:18:25 pm »
I used an Alexa Routine to have my Amazon Smart Plug turn ON the heat in my chair (same as a light) for a fixed amount of time.  (The chair heat plugs into an electrical outlet, so I inserted the Amazon Smart Plug between the chair heat plug and the electrical outlet.)

After setting up your Amazon Smart Plug, I renamed the smart plug to something meaningful.  In my case I renamed it “Chair Plugs”.  Then I changed the Amazon Smart Plug to Type = Light.

To create a Routine, I went to the Alexa App main menu and selected ”Routines” then selected the “+” in the top right of the screen.

My routine is as follows:

ROUTINE NAME: “Turn on my chair heat for 30 minutes”
WHEN THIS HAPPENS: “Alexa, turn on chair heat”
Add action: 
Select:
1) Smart Home, Lights, Chair Plug, Next, Power: On
2) Alexa Say, “Chair heat has been turned on”
3) Wait, Duration is 30 minutes
4) Smart Home, Lights, Chair Plug, Next, Power: Power: Off
5) Alexa Say “Chair heat has been turned off”

If you are turning on anything other than light, I would suggest testing your routine with a light connected to your Amazon Smart Plug.  This same routine will probably work with any brand of smart plugs.