Echo & Alexa Forums

Hissing

gblades

Hissing
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »
If you pick up your echo dot and put the bottom corner to your ear just under the Amazon logo do you hear hissing? This is where the speaker is and on mine I hear it as soon as it finishes booting up. You can't hear it normally but if you want it on a bedside table for example you would certainly notice it at night.
I have tried running it off a USB power bank but it made no difference. My main echo has no such issues. I have seen very little mention of it from a google search.

Jake

Re: Hissing
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:23:59 am »
Someone mentioned this in a product review. Can't remember whether at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk.

gblades

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:29:32 am »
Thanks. A friend at work also have one and he checked his and it hisses also. It's a shame as it would be easy to fix by turning off the speaker when not making a sound. It just means it can't really be placed on a bedside table.

Jake

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:36:10 am »
Yes, that would drive me nuts.

I was thinking of getting a Dot or two to add to my Echo. After all these issues I've heard about, I think I might wait for a decent deal and buy another Echo instead.

gblades

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:44:40 am »
Yes I am not so impressed with the dot. I have an issue when it is connected to a bluetooth speaker as well. When playing it recognises 'alexa' but then sites there with the light on as if it cannot hear anything else I say.

I don't know if it is a bug or perhaps the bluetooth is interfering with the wifi signal and it cannot communicate. My phone gets a good wifi signal where the dot is placed so that should not be a problem but there is something not quite right.
I will try moving it to the back bedroom where the wifi router is at some point to see if is the bluetooth interfering with the wifi that is causing it.

John54

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 11:28:41 am »
I have issues with my dot when trying to wake it up when you have some things playing on it. It doesn't always respond and you have to shout. Doesn't happen on my echo