Echo & Alexa Forums

WiFi Connect Error 7:1:9:14:4

SteveD

WiFi Connect Error 7:1:9:14:4
« on: October 30, 2016, 03:23:41 pm »
I've been using the ECho trouble free for the past month, but today it decided to disconnect from my WiFi network. Not sure why, because there were no problems with the network, i.e. all other devices were connected ok. I've tried going through the Echo setup again (several times) and keep getting the message "Your device was unable to connect...", with the error code 7:1:9:14:4.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks

Steve

SteveD

Re: WiFi Connect Error 7:1:9:14:4
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:06 pm »
An update on this. After several tries I got a different error code - 7:3:0:0:1. I then reset my Internet router and wifi network. Retried Echo and it connected all ok. Not sure what the original problem was, or what I did to cure, other then rebooting all the hardware.

Steve

Joker

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:23:46 pm »
I'm fighting this problem right now. I was listening to one of those sounds of nature rainfall soundtracks last night and had it turned down so it was in the background while I fell asleep. Then Alexa rudely awoke me after a few hours with "Unable to play song" way louder than I had the volume set. This evening she was unable to connect to the wifi. I'm getting this error "7:1:9:14:4" despite the fact that all the other devices in my network are connected just fine. If I end up fixing it without resetting my wireless router, I'll comment back here.

Joker

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:24 pm »
Digging in to this a bit, I discovered a couple of interesting things.

- Even though Echo Dot supports dual band networks, and was previously connected to my 5Ghz, the Alexa app is showing the 5Ghz network as unreachable - despite the fact that my other devices, including this laptop, are connected to the 5Ghz network just fine.

- When I pointed Alexa at the 2.4Ghz network, it connected almost immediately

- Not happy with that though, I rebooted my wireless router to see if that fixed it - nope. Echo Dot still saw the 5Ghz network as unreachable. A bunch of configuration changes and Echo Dot reboots later, the change that made Echo Dot see my 5Ghz again was 20Mhz channels and 70% power. I'm guessing that because my apartment complex is quite dense, even though 5Ghz is less crowded, there's enough interference for Echo Dot hardware to be unhappy, while my other devices are able to cope.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:15 am »
Are there any walls or other physical barriers between your router and your Dot?

Joker

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:41:12 am »
An internal wall, but nothing's changed from when it was working to when it randomly stopped.

DParker

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:34:30 pm »
An internal wall, but nothing's changed from when it was working to when it randomly stopped.

It may well be that an increase in local RF interference (that you wouldn't necessarily know about) combined with the wall, slightly less sensitive WiFi antenna in the Echo/Dot than your other devices, etc was enough to manifest the issue.

mpatton

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:20:25 am »
For what it might be worth, I'm adding this late item to an old post, because this is where I ended up while trying to solve my own problem.

Repeatedly, I received the 7:1:9:14:4 error while re-registering an Echo Dot via the Alexa app on my Fire HD. Tried all the suggestions herein, to no avail, and was ready to call Amazon for an assist.

Before doing so, I attempted the registration from the Alexa app on my phone, and it worked perfectly, first time. This doesn't prove an error on the Fire HD, and may be simply time, chance, and circumstance. But, if you're having this problem, and have the option of trying the app from a different device, I'd suggest that doing so would be a good use of your time.

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:31:04 pm »
I too, had that error. When I googled though. It did not point me to this forum. But yeah, basically update wifi set up from the app. I think I had to do it twice or 3x.

It is always the solution the tech problems. Either upgrade or reboot or the dreaded factory reset.