Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Philips Hue Interfered with Echo Dot?

namartlu

Philips Hue Interfered with Echo Dot?
« on: October 28, 2016, 04:42:56 pm »
I have had Echo dot for a few days and it had been running great. But starting yesterday after I added a Philips Hue Bridge and a couple Hue bulbs to the mix, the Dot started to run into issue. Typically it happens after I did a couple commands w/ the lights, the Dot carried out the commands alright, but then immediately after, it would say having issues connecting to the network. Looks like the Hue setup somehow interferes w/ the Dot's connection... Any idea?

My router is dual-band, Dot connected via the 5G band.

DParker

Re: Philips Hue Interfered with Echo Dot?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:56:06 pm »
I have had Echo dot for a few days and it had been running great. But starting yesterday after I added a Philips Hue Bridge and a couple Hue bulbs to the mix, the Dot started to run into issue. Typically it happens after I did a couple commands w/ the lights, the Dot carried out the commands alright, but then immediately after, it would say having issues connecting to the network. Looks like the Hue setup somehow interferes w/ the Dot's connection... Any idea?

If your Dot is truly connected via the 5 GHz band then neither your Hue bridge nor the bulbs are interfering with your WiFi.  The bridge and bulbs are ZigBee devices, which operate in the 2.4 GHz band.  And the Hue bridge doesn't have a WiFi radio at all (which is why you have to connect it to your router via an ethernet cable).

The timing of the issue is likely coincidental, and you have something else causing WiFi problems.

namartlu

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 02:09:53 pm »

If your Dot is truly connected via the 5 GHz band then neither your Hue bridge nor the bulbs are interfering with your WiFi.  The bridge and bulbs are ZigBee devices, which operate in the 2.4 GHz band.  And the Hue bridge doesn't have a WiFi radio at all (which is why you have to connect it to your router via an ethernet cable).

The timing of the issue is likely coincidental, and you have something else causing WiFi problems.

Thanks, I reset the Dot last night, switching it to the 2.4 Ghz (just to try it out), and adding the lights back. So far it seems running ok... I will wait and see if the issue will come back...

namartlu

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:35:40 pm »
It's been a couple days since I reset the Dot and switching to 2.4Ghz, so far no disconnection issues. I don't know whether it is the reset or the 2.4Ghz band that helps... Keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay connected.