Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Finding speakers for Echo Dot: what a pain

DParker

Re: Finding speakers for Echo Dot: what a pain
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 12:04:31 pm »
Thanks.

So you get this tone every time after that, or can you turn the tone on/off via voice once you have started using the Dot ?

Not by voice (at least, not as far as I know), but you can disable it using your device configuration options in the app.

badbob001

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 03:24:34 pm »
I got a Fluance Fi30 BT speaker to use with a Dot.
It's AC powered, and lately is around $70 at Amazon.
It doesn't shut itself off and has never disconnected.
I use it mainly for listening to classical & jazz music in our kitchen and the sound is fine.
So the dot never disconnects from the Fi30? I read that the Fi30 makes an annoying sound when disconnecting and reconnecting, so I certainly don't want that to happen all through the night on its own.

Another issue I've read about is that there is no button to initiate bluetooth pairing, so the speakers are always ready to pair. There is a button to wipe existing pairings but that is not the same. One fear is that my neighbors or any anyone off the street can potentially pair with my speakers. Perhaps if the speakers are constantly paired with the dot, then it will not allow any other pairings until the dot is disconnected? Wow, won't it be creepy if your neighbor secretly pairs with your speakers and pipes over some scary sounds.

DParker

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 03:31:28 pm »
So the dot never disconnects from the Fi30? I read that the Fi30 makes an annoying sound when disconnecting and reconnecting, so I certainly don't want that to happen all through the night on its own.

Another issue I've read about is that there is no button to initiate bluetooth pairing, so the speakers are always ready to pair. There is a button to wipe existing pairings but that is not the same. One fear is that my neighbors or any anyone off the street can potentially pair with my speakers. Perhaps if the speakers are constantly paired with the dot, then it will not allow any other pairings until the dot is disconnected? Wow, won't it be creepy if your neighbor secretly pairs with your speakers and pipes over some scary sounds.

Bluetooth "pairing" and "connecting" are different things.  Pairing establishes a sort of trust relationship between two BT devices, making them aware of one another's existence and allowing for subsequent connections between them.  Once established, this pairing exists even when the devices are not actively connected.  Connections are more transient, and are what need to be active in order for the devices to exchange the data that results in what you hear from one of them.

I might find one of my neighbors using something to pair with and connect to one of my BT devices annoying, but I don't think I'd call that a "scary" proposition.

dhseattle

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 11:36:06 pm »
I use an Anker Premium Stereo Bluetooth Speaker 4.0 (A3143) with my Dot. No issues with this speaker disconnecting as other's have reported with their's. Connection is via Bluetooth, although I leave it plugged into a power source. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:57:57 pm by dhseattle »

Kyle76

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 02:22:45 pm »
I have a pair of powered Audioengine speakers with a Logitech Bluetooth input, which is paired with my Echo Dot.  The speakers instantly come on when they detect an audio signal.  When I walk in my office in the morning, I say, "Alexa, play," and the music starts right up.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:55:39 pm by Kyle76 »

Jeff29

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 12:53:57 pm »
So I went with the option to connect to an existing receiver using the AmazonBasics Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bluetooth-4-0-Audio-Receiver/dp/B00I59VBH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508880078&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+bluetooth+receiver

While audio works the interface via Alexa is so broken it's laughable.

The AmazonBasics BT device has no on-off switch.   Why would it?  It's just not needed.

The problem:  "Alexa, disconnect" (the documented command) actually works and causes Alexa to disconnect from the Bluetooth audio and switch to the internal speaker at which point Alexa verbally confirms this to you over the internal speaker and then immediately switches back to the Bluetooth audio.  While this is normal behavior for BT whoever let this pass QA completely failed in understanding the Echo UI.

I have documented this with Amazon Support and created a ticket number.  If you would like Amazon to properly support switching back to the internal speaker (and who knows what else they might fix in acknowledging this issue) please follow the link below and open your own ticket and reference mine.
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/echo-alexa/echo-devices/2246-speaker-selection-doesnt-work-bluetooth-not

One additional issue:  For those that have actually tried this you may have noticed there's no discrete control for the UI volume.  This means you set your music volume and the UI can be too loud or barely audible and there's no way to separately adjust it [e.g. like you would in your car].  FWIW I don't view this as a "feature request" given this platform is intended as an audio solution.  That would be like calling tires "extras" on cars.  I also have a ticket open for this:
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/echo-alexa/echo-devices/2248-amazon-echo-show-dot-ui-access-to-discrete-audio

DroMike

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 06:36:38 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-by-Bang-Olufsen-BO1625326/dp/B0155VM8YY/
te

It might sound great but OMG, that is one FUGLY black space rock -- perfect for one's home decor if they lived in a gravel pit.   ;)  But seriously, I was thinking of a wired speaker for the Echo 2 I just purchased (not that it could replace my audio system), but it sounds good enough on its own for home background music.  I'm considering obtaining a Dot so am happy to follow developments re sound on it here.

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 07:58:03 am »
https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-by-Bang-Olufsen-BO1625326/dp/B0155VM8YY/
te

It might sound great but OMG, that is one FUGLY black space rock -- perfect for one's home decor if they lived in a gravel pit.   ;)  But seriously, I was thinking of a wired speaker for the Echo 2 I just purchased (not that it could replace my audio system), but it sounds good enough on its own for home background music.  I'm considering obtaining a Dot so am happy to follow developments re sound on it here.

B&O has always had some odd stuff... some beautiful, some not so much. But the Audio quality is usually excellent. The price on that one listed is actually pretty decent as well, for B&O. They have some other ones that are 599.00 and up as well... I'd have to see the "Space Rock" in person to decide whether I think it's really that ugly... but it doesn't appear to be one of their prettiest pieces ever. Price out their A9 speaker... $3k ish... weird but neat design as well. And the Space rock is available in white as well... does look a lot less clunky in white...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:39 pm »
My solution is to have a Dot plugged into my stereo system AUX in. I also have other audio devices plugged into stereo's inputs, and for over 40 years my stereo system has been left ON 24/7/365.  This is better for stereo than turning it on and off during this time.  All I need to do is move source switch of stereo to the input I want to hear, including the Dot. Great sound at any time from any device.