Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Getting AirPlay and Echo to coexist? As simple as a Y-splitter? [YES!]

mvgossman

Related to the prior post about having Echo work streaming music to external speakers without turning off the internal speaker... I currently have an Apple Airport Express plugged into an external amplifier and then to speakers. I'd like to have the Echo feed into those speakers.

Has anyone simply connected the Airplay sound output to the Echo's sound output through a Y-splitter to mix the two sources into one and then to the speakers?

If this works I guess I could live with the Alexa's voice booming over the main speakers, though my amplifier does go into low power mode when not in use and there might be some distortion with the initial sound.

Mitch
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:24:15 pm by mvgossman »

mvgossman

Re: Getting AirPlay and Echo to coexist? As simple as a Y-splitter? [YES!]
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 05:26:00 pm »
Back from the store with the mini stereo plug Y-splitter. The answer is "YES" you can feed the Echo and your Airplay music into a single speaker.

One could also use Bluetooth from your phone, computer, or tablet into the Echo.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:35:38 am »
Please describe the Y splitter:  How many male and female ends are on it, and how is it configured; how have you wired it to all devices?

mvgossman

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:58:44 pm »
Depends on the gender for the specifics but you need a Y-splitter with the correct ends for the two audio sources which are merged into the end to go to your amp, receiver, powered speakers or whatever you are using.

For example this one was right for me: https://amzn.com/B000067RC4
Because the connected on my amplifier is female 3.5mm stereo or RCA stereo, the stereo 3.5mm plug is simpler. Then you have to connect one of the ends, on this one it's female, between your Echo and the Y-connector. In my case it's something like this: https://amzn.com/B000SE6IV8

Incidentally, I use this amplifier: https://amzn.com/B0049OI08W
It's nice because it has a white range of connectors and best of all you just leave it on, it goes into low-power mode when not receiving a signal.

And in case you're interested, it feeds into these speakers: https://amzn.com/B00009P2YQ

I've got about 6 of these with speakers mounted in wall or ceiling. Now one of them has Alexa so you can say "Alexa, stream WLGE", adjust volume with voice, no quickness that plagues Airplay sometimes when moving around the house, and no draining your iPhone or iPad battery streaming audio.

Mitch

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:26:39 pm »
Thanks Mitch, I will be looking at your post more closely soon.  I pretty much know what to do, but your doing homework beforehand will be helpful., and I need to check if I have the right Y cables already.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 04:19:13 am »
just be careful and not turn them both on at the same time.  You can burn something out.  I learned this years ago doing something similar with a tv and stereo system.   I burned the sound out of the tv twice before getting smart. 

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:59:47 pm »
I know, so a good reason NOT to do this. An A/B switch is a safer/better idea.

mvgossman

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:01:04 pm »
According to my research and practical experience merging signals of a low level like this, with modern sources, is OK with a y-splitter in reverse.

An A-B will definitely do the job - but requires you to get up and switch it. There are devices that automatically switch too another option, they detect signal and switch.

Mitch

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 02:11:27 am »
Well, I am not averse to getting off my can to move a switch, and is one reason I don't want or feel the need for home automation from the Echo.  I did not get the gadgets for that -- I got them to listen to mostly and do the simple timers, shopping lists etc, and not to turn lights off and on.  As far as the A/b switch goes . I "stole" the input of my iPod to stereo for the Dot to use, and I would like both hooked up.

mvgossman

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 09:29:00 am »
The reason I like Echo is not only to avoid getting off my can, it's also to not even have to reach for a computer or phone!

I haven't employed the to-do functionality yet...