Echo & Alexa Forums

Local music source??

larry5b6

Local music source??
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:21 am »
Just got an email saying my Echo will show up in a little more than a week, and I'm looking forward to hitting the ground running.

From what I've read, music sources include Amazon cloud, bluetooth smartphones, and any number of internet sources. But I didn't see any mention of playing music from a file server on your local network. Is this doable? Seems like a MAJOR oversight if not... unless its deliberate, intended to increase the usage of Amazon cloud. I suppose I could stick a 32gb card in my old unused android phone and stream from there, but that seems kind of convoluted.

Y

Re: Local music source??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:00:52 pm »
You can use Echo as a bluetooth speaker with your computer/tablet/phone as your 'local music source.'
If you have a router with USB you can store your music there and access it through all connected devices.

Echo's sourced music is vast.

If you have Prime you can easily play Amazon Music. You can upload some 'local music source' to your Amazon account and make your local music available from Prime.

While you are waiting, if you have not already, create Pandora, iHeart Radio and TuneIn accounts. Put your area code into TuneIn to see what local radio stations you can play through Echo.

Once you get Echo you can say, 'Alexa, play 'Pop'' and a playlist from Prime 'Pop' will start.
Or 'Alexa, play 'Pop' from Pandora (or iHeart)' will play their 'Pop' collection. 

larry5b6

Re: Local music source??
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:53:10 am »
Sounds like I'll be able to do what I want. I've got close to half a terrabyte of music stored locally, and really don't want to have to upload/sync/etc. it.

Will Echo also play internet radio stations, or only sources like Pandora, etc.?