Echo & Alexa Forums

"Alexa, turn on all Hue lights"

itsjustmeee

"Alexa, turn on all Hue lights"
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:22:34 pm »
Has anyone been able to actually get this to work? When I say "Alexa, turn on all Hue lights", I just get something like "I'm sorry, I don't see a Hue Lights group in your account". Here's the Philips Hue link I got describing it....

http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/friends-of-hue/amazon-alexa/

DParker

Re: "Alexa, turn on all Hue lights"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:34:04 pm »
Has anyone been able to actually get this to work? When I say "Alexa, turn on all Hue lights", I just get something like "I'm sorry, I don't see a Hue Lights group in your account". Here's the Philips Hue link I got describing it....

http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/friends-of-hue/amazon-alexa/

Do you have a group named "All Hue lights" configured in your Hue account, or one in your Alexa account that you've created with that name?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:59:22 pm by DParker »

itsjustmeee

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:55:59 pm »
I believe I tried that but it said something about those lights already being in a group. Can individual lights be in more than one group at a time?

DParker

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:01:04 pm »
I believe I tried that but it said something about those lights already being in a group. Can individual lights be in more than one group at a time?

To which "it" are you referring?  Your Hue configuration (via the Hue app), or your Alexa configuration (via the Alexa app)?

itsjustmeee

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:31:21 pm »
I've been using the hue app to make groups. Should I be doing it in the Alexa app instead?

DParker

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 11:56:01 pm »
I've been using the hue app to make groups. Should I be doing it in the Alexa app instead?

If your Hue app is preventing you from placing lights in groups as you wish then creating groups in your Alexa app will work.  Plus, you can most definitely use the same bulb in more than one group simultaneously.

itsjustmeee

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 12:24:43 am »
Thanks for the help. I just discovered that it does indeed work by creating an "all hue" group in the Alexa app. I guess I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Hue and Alexa apps when it comes to creating groups and which one is the best to use.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »
Thanks for the help. I just discovered that it does indeed work by creating an "all hue" group in the Alexa app. I guess I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Hue and Alexa apps when it comes to creating groups and which one is the best to use.

there is absolutely no reason to use the Hue app unless you want to set up something fancy.  For general usage, the echo app is all you need.  I have four different apps, wemo, wink, hue and honeywell.  I very seldom open them unless I am setting up a new bulb.  All my groupings is in the echo app.

itsjustmeee

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 05:33:14 pm »

there is absolutely no reason to use the Hue app unless you want to set up something fancy.  For general usage, the echo app is all you need.  I have four different apps, wemo, wink, hue and honeywell.  I very seldom open them unless I am setting up a new bulb.  All my groupings is in the echo app.

Cool.... thanks. This morning I deleted the couple of groups I've made (kitchen, living room) in the Hue app and redid them in the Alexa app. It seems to be more stable. I've been having problems from time to time with various lights in the groups not always responding. This actually seems to work better.