Echo & Alexa Forums

Slowing down Alexa's voice

Snafs

Slowing down Alexa's voice
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:23:47 am »
I've never seen this mentioned, and I know it would need to be done by Amazon themselves, and perhaps due to their ages/experience they have not thought of this.

However, when dealing with elderly people, their hearing, and, more to the point their understanding of the spoken word, esp at speed is nowhere near what it's like when younger.

We will probably all get to that point ourselves, barring unforeseen accidents.

I feel it would be an excellent, and I would imagine pretty easy task to allow the user to set the speed of the voice of Alexa.

Perhaps 4 speeds?  Slow, Medium, Normal, Fast.
Probably don't need fast if I'm honest, but slower is a must for the elderly.
If you think when speaking to perhaps your grandma/pa that you need to speak slower so they can understand what you are saying.

Given how these devices are ideal for those without computer skills, disabled elderly, I feel it would be a good thing for amazon to consider.

Perhaps I should suggest it?
what do you think?  Silly idea or something they should offer ?

mike27oct

Re: Slowing down Alexa's voice
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:37:29 am »
No brainer to suggest anything to Amazon, so just do it.
Just copy and paste these comments of yours into an email message to Echo support.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:40:49 am by mike27oct »

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:38:03 pm »
Yes, i wish this was a feature too and I've suggested it.
-Paul.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 09:52:40 pm »
Yes, i wish this was a feature too and I've suggested it.

This should be very easy for Amazon to implement if they choose to do it. They really should do it.

hallman

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:29:55 pm »
Alexa's voice is a real problem for me. I cannot understand what she says. Slowing her down would help a lot. It would also help to be able to select a voice. I think I need a lower frequency. I'll post to Echo support. I can read her response in History, which is good, but I'd rather just type my question to Google than to ask Alexa and then go to my tablet, get to History, and read her response.

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:29:33 pm »
This would be a big help to my parents and my husband.  My husband is your typical slow talking, long drawl Texan lol
Apparently he listens slow too!

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:17:42 pm »
Looked at list twice but did not see this info.  What is the trick?

AndyGlasgow2020

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 11:53:39 am »
I got an Alexa for my 91-year-old Mum about 9 months ago. When I first set it up, I asked Alexa to speak slowly and she did. It was good. However that function has stopped working more recently. Has it been withdrawn or changed?