Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot and App keep stopping

John54

Dot and App keep stopping
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:20:10 am »
Since last night my Dot and App keep stopping, but my Echo keep working.
Any idea about this
Thanks

mike27oct

Re: Dot and App keep stopping
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:48:44 am »
Most of the time this kind of problem is related to weak wifi at the location of the device with the problem.  One needs a good strong wifi signal most everywhere in their home.  I have made sure my signal is good everywhere, and I never have a weak signal issue in the house.  Outside; it's another story, of course.

DParker

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 05:37:01 am »
Since last night my Dot and App keep stopping, but my Echo keep working.
Any idea about this
Thanks

Define what you mean by "stopping".  What are they doing (or not doing), exactly?

Chris__M

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 06:06:02 am »
I got a box of Dots yesterday, and set up two immediately to have fun.

Today, I tried to set up one in my bedroom, and it kept stuttering and skipping. Saying "Alexa - what's the weather" gave a response of something like "Right now in <town name> it's <pause, click> degrees with clear <pause> Tonight..."

I thought (a) it was possibly a bad Dot, or (b) WiFi reception in the room was bad (even though I use a WiFi connected clock radio there!).

So I started swapping the devices around, and found they were all doing it.

As you are no doubt aware, there was huge disruption to the internet yesterday by a DDOS attack. I think we may still be seeing fallout from that today.

However, currently all my devices are once more working fine.

John54

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:14:46 am »
Unplug the power from the main for 30sec then restart. Worked again for about 10 minutes then stop. As been working OK up till then

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:07:04 am »
I've seen suggestions elsewhere that this may be the result of yesterday's DOS attack. Fortunately my Echo and Dot don't seem to have been affected.