Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot audio connection question

Lils

Dot audio connection question
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:57:07 pm »
I am new to this but think I have found most of my answers except for:  I plan to have the Dot placed near where I sit in the LR and have approx a 15 foot audio cable, (hopefully not too long?), running to my Denon reciever.  One thing I am a little unsure of is the best way to make the audio connection from the Dot to my Denon receiver.  Attached is a photo of the rear of the receiver for reference. 

Since the Dot only has a 3.5mm audio output and I think my Denon only has HDMI and stereo RCA inputs, I guess I will need to split the 3.5 output from the echo so that I can plug it in to an RCA audio input on the Denon?  As can be seen in the photo, I have several empty RCA inputs.  But those are all imputs are labeled for devices that I already have plugged in via HDMI.  Will this matter?  In other words, if I plug the Dot into the RCA "DVD" input, will it matter that my DVD is already connected to the HDMI "DVD" input?  Or are those completely separate?

I suppose one more question is, given what is shown in the photo of the rear of my Denon, is there a better way to connect the Dot?

Thank you very much for any advice!

Can't seem to attach a file to this so here is a link to it: 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:21:23 pm by Lils »

mike27oct

Re: Dot audio connection question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 02:10:24 am »
Yours is at least the third question here about "how do I connect the Dot audio to my stereo receiver".  It's beginning to make me feel like I am back working in the stereo store from my past days and answering "Stereo 101" questions from customers again.  I hope you saw the other similar questions posted here.

Anyway, your question is different enough, so I will tackle it. 
First, the output of a Dot is a high-level signal as one from most gadgets are (except for Phono outputs which are low-level ones and MUST be plugged in to an amp's Phono input (and nothing else).  NEVER plug anything into phono input other than a turntable output.

So, pretty much all the other inputs are high-level, (unless the amp has a mic in, and many amps do not have this input -- but keep away from this one, too).

OK, from your photo I don't see too many spare inputs, but you may be able to use an unused DVD input (or other) of receiver if:

-- all the HDMI cables (from gear) are plugged into the TV's HDMI ports and audio of these devices play through the TV speakers -OR- from TV into another device such as a soundbar.

-- BUT, if any of the audio of these devices (especially the DVD player) are plugged into the receiver, you CANNOT use the DVD (or other) input of receiver; for if you do, you would be putting two signals into the same circuit  -- not good.

A key question:  What audio outputs from which devices do you have plugged into your receiver, and what devices are plugged into your TV via HDMI, and either play their audio via TV speakers (or a soundbar)?

Now, regarding the cabling needed.  There are nice cables made with a 3.5 male plug on one end and red and white RCA plugs for L/R on the other end; they are about 3 feet long.  I have a few of them in use. This is what you need to connect the Dot to the receiver.  If you need more cable, there are stereo extension cables that have a male 3.5 plug on one end and a female plug on the other end.  Be sure you get a STEREO variety of this cable; the shorter the better to reduce signal loss.  A 20 foot cable would likely be the max, but if a 10 foot cable can do the job, get it.

Once you answer the above questions we can probably wrap this up.

Lils

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:07:27 am »
Ok thanks.  I think the only HDMI plugged into the tv comes from the receiver.  All other devices plugged in with HDMI are connected to the receiver. Plus the CD changer with no HDMI is plugged in to the receiver with rca cables as is a pair of wireless headphones, and an old iPod dock which no longer is used. Can't remember all the details of exactly how everything is connected but a few years ago when I got the reciever I followed some instructions from somewhere.  Seems to work fine.  DVR, Blueray and ROKU play through the tv speakers or headphone audio.  All other audio devices play through 4  - 40 year old rebuilt Advent speakers which is what I want the Dot to do.

I can remove the iPod dock and use that spot for the Dot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:09:37 am by Lils »

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:01:30 pm »
>>>   I can remove the iPod dock and use that spot for the Dot.

Fine, as long as nothing is using the HDMI port or RCA sockets related to what the iPod dock is/was plugged into.

Interestingly, my iPod dock is what I had to sacrifice so I could plug my Dot into the stereo.  Since the Dot required the same cables needed as to plug in the iPod, I just removed the cable plug from the back of the iPod dock and plugged it into the Dot's audio output.  No tinkering around back of the amp is required.  Maybe you can do the same.  If I want to use the iPod again, I'll just swap the audio cable between the two devices again. All music on my iPod is now on my NAS server as well today anyway, and that server is connected to the amp via another device.