Echo & Alexa Forums

A home for Google Home

Offline jwlv

A home for Google Home
« on: October 07, 2016, 04:47:55 pm »
Excitement is in the air. And everyone is eager to try the new Google Home.

Even though this forum is dedicated to the Amazon Echo, we cannot ignore similar products such as Google Home.

Most of us are early adopters and technology enthusiasts. Amazon Echo was definitely a good example of what makes our lives more like Star Trek in the present day. Now comes the Google Home. Let's see what it can do!

DParker

Re: A home for Google Home
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:58:33 pm »
Amazon Echo was definitely a good example of what makes our lives more like Star Trek in the present day.

Which makes me really nervous given that all of my favorite shirts are red.  :o

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:40 pm »
You have good reason to be nervous. Wife, a Star Trek fan, tells me the "red shirt" guys in a scene are "dead meat" when danger is near in a Star Trek episode, and she's right!  A few of them are extinguished every time.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:48:21 pm by mike27oct »

DParker

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 05:57:21 pm »
Well, yeah...that was the whole point of the joke.  8)

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 04:19:54 am »
air freshener vs pringles can  :-)

I am interested in how good or bad it really is.   

Snafs

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:21:38 pm »
I will be honest and admit here, that whilst I love my new Echo.
I am expecting Google Home to stomp over it from a great height when it comes down to actually being able to giving answers to questions as opposed to Alexa saying she can't do it, or knows nothing about it.

As I test, every time I spoke to Alexa and she could not answer, I spoke to Google on my phone and it hit the right reply every time.

Likewise, Google will pull info from other places.

On the other side, I feel they are making a long term error in the phrase OK GOOGLE.
Why they cannot understand that saying that tens of thousands of times over year/years is going to become a pain I don't know.

I am very interested to see YouTube reviews on the speaker quality, as the Echo had two REAL speakers or good size as opposed to Googles one, with some passive side baffles.

Just a shame the UK is being ignored again, for now anyway.

DParker

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:47:01 pm »
Just a shame the UK is being ignored again, for now anyway.

Well, you know...we're still a little sore about you burning Washington D.C. and all.  Give us another century or so and we'll get over it.   ;D