Echo & Alexa Forums

Can the iPad calendar be used on the uk echo

Nearlypastit

Can the iPad calendar be used on the uk echo
« on: October 02, 2016, 05:02:23 pm »
The echo doesn't recognise my iPad calendar, I don't want to start using the Google calendar if I can help it. I'm sorry if this topic has been raised before, I did a search but nothing appeared. I only received my Echo today, so far very pleased. I couldn't find anything about voice training but perhaps it's early days and I need to keep investigating. I'm 77 years old and my wife thinks I mad to buy gadgets (maybe she thinks I won't live long enough to get the use out of it),.

strayfish

Re: Can the iPad calendar be used on the uk echo
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:49:19 am »
As far as I can tell, it doesn't integrate with iPad calendar. I just tested it with a new appointment in iPad only and it didn't find it so I'd say you're going to have to replicate on Google. There's an app you can download to your iThing that makes it easy although obviously you're plugging the same stuff in twice.

I'm an early adopter too and I like this thing enough to order a Dot. You're right, no voice training as yet in the UK and quite a few of the skills seem still to be US oriented but it's early days and the potential is stunning. If you haven't tried saying good morning to it, give that a go - there's often a factoid about a significant date and a trace of humour to go with it :)

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:04:43 am »
It is not compatible with the ipad calendar.  also, you really do not need to do voice training.  I have yet to do it and I have had my echo since early 2015.  If your echo is responding okay wthout it, then you should be okay. 

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:15:53 am »
you really do not need to do voice training
You may be right although I wonder about regional accents. I'm quite BBC RP in my speech so I don't know how it copes with a broad Scots, Brummie or Scouser voice.

Nearlypastit

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 09:48:03 am »
Thanks for the replies. I've now set up a google calendar and everything appears to be working okay. It's annoying that the Google calendar isn't in landscape on the iPad, hopefully they will put that right.

itsjustmeee

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 03:29:40 pm »
I'd love to Amazon to play nice with Apple and it's infrastructure (since I have pretty much every Apple product in existence) but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. After all, they are rivals.

jer78

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:37:35 am »
Thanks for the replies. I've now set up a google calendar and everything appears to be working okay. It's annoying that the Google calendar isn't in landscape on the iPad, hopefully they will put that right.

You know you don't need to use the Google Calendar app to view your google calendar. Just add your google account in settings, turn on calendar and use Apple's app.

Nearlypastit

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »
Thanks. Not sure if I've tried that, Alexa didn't seem to be recognising my Apple calendar and I thought it was linked. I'm now running both and when I add to the Apple calendar it doesn't update on the Google one but if I add to the Google one it then appears on the Apple one. I think I'll leave it like it is thanks, I'm starting to get confused.

joeg

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 06:07:18 pm »
I'd love to Amazon to play nice with Apple and it's infrastructure (since I have pretty much every Apple product in existence) but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. After all, they are rivals.

Wouldn't it be nice if Alexa and Siri were best friends?

DParker

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:13:15 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice if Alexa and Siri were best friends?