Echo & Alexa Forums

Philips Hue Bridge question....

itsjustmeee

Philips Hue Bridge question....
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:33:59 pm »
I've noticed from time to time, my Phillips Hue bulbs don't always react the Alexa's commands. For example, I have 3 bulbs in my kitchen all in the same group. Occasionally when I say "Alexa, kitchen lights off", one won't react or will dim but not turn off. They are close to the Bridge and my Echo is right in the kitchen. The wifi is strong and very fast so I don't think that's the problem. I noticed there in the Hue app, there's options for different frequencies. Could that possibly help or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DParker

Re: Philips Hue Bridge question....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 03:23:01 pm »
Is the group "kitchen lights" defined using either the Hue app on your mobile device or the Hue website, or is it a group you created and defined in your Alexa app?  If the group is one you defined in via Hue then Alexa doesn't know anything about the individual lights in the group, so the problem would have to be somewhere between the Hue server and the lights.  If you defined the group via the Alexa app then the problem could be just about anywhere, as Alexa then needs to send a separate command to the Hue servers for each and every light in the group, and one of the commands is failing somewhere along the way.

itsjustmeee

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 04:43:15 pm »
I believe I made the groups in the Hue app on my iPhone. Would changing the channel in the ZigBee setting within the Hue app be worth trying?

DParker

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:48:11 pm »
I believe I made the groups in the Hue app on my iPhone. Would changing the channel in the ZigBee setting within the Hue app be worth trying?

If the group is defined within the Hue environment then the problem is definitely not with Alexa.  As such, I don't know if tinkering with ZigBee channels will help, but I don't know that it will hurt to try it either.

Is it always the same bulb that's the problem, or does the problem move from bulb-to-bulb?

itsjustmeee

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 04:59:54 pm »
It seems to be a random thing. That's why it's hard to source. If it was just one bulb, i would replace it or try putting it in a different location. I'll give the ZigBee thing a shot .... who knows.

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 05:30:21 am »
Try saying "turn kitchen off". It usually works for me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:48:22 am by mindmagic »

DParker

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 05:45:58 am »
Try saying "turn kitchen lights off". It usually works for me.

It's not a problem with what he's saying.  The command is being recognized properly.  It's just that there's a non-deterministic error occurring somewhere between the Hue cloud servers and his lights.

I would verify that the light group is in fact defined within the Hue app and not the Alexa app.  If that is indeed the case then you might try resetting your Hue Bridge (unplug its power, wait 15 seconds and then plug it back in).  If that doesn't work then contacting Phillips support is in order.