Echo & Alexa Forums

Train line skill

Haywardi

Train line skill
« on: September 29, 2016, 10:35:33 am »
Hi,

Can someone help me please.  I'm a UK Alexa user and would find it really useful to check the UK train times before I leave for work...

I can say "Alexa, ask train line to plan a journey" and it will, giving me the time of the next two trains.

But when I ask "Alexa, ask train line to check my commute" (which it says it can handle) Alexa asks me to set up my commute in the App.  This is all very well as I can entry my start and finish in the app, but the app assumes I'll be commuting by car, not train...  Ergo I can not check my regular trip.

Is it unable to do this or have I missed something?

Thanks in advnace
Iain

DParker

Re: Train line skill
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 12:52:32 pm »
Hi,

Can someone help me please.  I'm a UK Alexa user and would find it really useful to check the UK train times before I leave for work...

I can say "Alexa, ask train line to plan a journey" and it will, giving me the time of the next two trains.

But when I ask "Alexa, ask train line to check my commute" (which it says it can handle) Alexa asks me to set up my commute in the App.  This is all very well as I can entry my start and finish in the app, but the app assumes I'll be commuting by car, not train...  Ergo I can not check my regular trip.

Is it unable to do this or have I missed something?

Thanks in advnace
Iain

It sounds like Alexa is, for whatever reason, ignoring the "ask Train Line" part of your request (which is what would tell it that you're invoking a 3rd party skill) and instead keying in on the "check my commute" part, which causes her to determining that you're trying to invoke that native functionality.  BTW, what is the actual name of the skill you're trying to use?  I've searched and can't find anything named "Train Line", nor a skill that involves the invocation phrase, "ask Train Line".

Benomley-guy

Re: Train line skill
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 03:23:14 pm »
The national rail skill may be worth a go? It's still in its infancy but does seem to be able to do what your asking.