Echo & Alexa Forums

google search about amazon echo

google search about amazon echo
« on: October 06, 2016, 01:16:50 am »
for the fun of it, I did a search using google for "amazon echo" news.  the results was all about google home.  who says google does not stack their search.

on a side note I found the following comparison from cnet.  IMO, home still has a long way to go. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-home-vs-amazon-echo/

strayfish

Re: google search about amazon echo
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 04:26:07 am »
The fact it looks like an air freshener doesn't help!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:12:12 am »
for the fun of it, I did a search using google for "amazon echo" news.  the results was all about google home.  who says google does not stack their search.

on a side note I found the following comparison from cnet.  IMO, home still has a long way to go. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-home-vs-amazon-echo/

I just watched the Cnet comparison of the Echo and Google Home. Towards the end of the video, it was noted that Google Home hasn't said much about home automation. In a way, it's like what Apple has done with their Homekit. Yes, they support home automation, but how many third parties have signed up to make it all work? We already know that Echo supports dozens upon dozens of home automation devices such as Hue, Wemo, SmartThings, Nest, Wink, Honeywell, TP Link, etc, etc, etc... It took anywhere from 6 months to nearly 2 years after the release of Echo for some of these hardware manufacturers to get on board with Echo. How long will it be for Google Home? Are you willing to wait?

As for Echo controlling TV and A/V devices, we can safely assume that Echo will support Fire TV eventually. I think that will happen soon after the next update. Amazon has already announced that the Dot v2's firmware will be aware of other Dots near by. The rest of the Echo line will get the same firmware that is on the Dot v2. If Echo devices are aware of other Echo devices, and the Fire TV already has Alexa built-in, then the next natural progression is for one Echo device to control another Echo device. Also, didn't someone in the forum mention that Logitech (Harmony) is working with Amazon on something? Is Logitech also working on a secret project with Google Home? As for other devices like Roku, Apple TV, Tivo, various cable/satellite boxes, I wouldn't hold my breath. But if there's a slight chance for any 3rd party A/V device to be supported, I'd place my bet on Roku over any of the others.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:14:52 am by jwlv »

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:22:52 am »
the biggie will be customer service.  I doubt google will have the 24/7 customer support. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:29:35 am »
the biggie will be customer service.  I doubt google will have the 24/7 customer support.

LOL. Does Google have customer support at all? Ever since Google's existence, I've never known if they had a phone number at all.

DParker

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:21:49 am »

That's odd.  When I do the same search (including the term "news") half of the top results are links to items strictly pertaining to the Echo, and half are about Google Home as a new competitor to the Echo.  This should not be surprising to anyone given the inclusion of the search term "news", since that newly created competition is the dominant news story related to the Echo right now.

When I drop "news" from the search only 1 of the top search results is about GH vs Echo (at the bottom of the page), with everything else links to Echo-only items.

I'm not seeing any real evidence of search result stacking there.

MJ_2016

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 06:01:46 pm »
I don't know about search results, but I do wonder about the reporting on Google Home. It seemed that about 5 Home-biased articles appeared on the same day, praising it as an Echo beater. I read an article today that Google Home is better than the Echo because the Echo is limited; it can't for example tell you what 13% of 72 is. So I immediately asked Alexa what it is, and, contrary to the article's claim, Alexa had no problem providing the answer.

My frustration at the moment with Echo is its ability to understand me, which is hit and miss. I hear Voice Training helps, but this feature is absent from the app.

I do wonder if Google's voice assistant will be any better/consistent.

DParker

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 06:35:30 pm »
I read an article today that Google Home is better than the Echo because the Echo is limited; it can't for example tell you what 13% of 72 is.

Would you happen to have a link to that?  I'd be interested in reading it.