Echo & Alexa Forums

a nice CuriosityStream offer

mike27oct

a nice CuriosityStream offer
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:09:30 pm »
To Cord Cutters and Cable TV subscribers alike:  I am sharing here an email I have sent to "friends and family"; it may interest you as well.
-------------------------------------------
eSubject: Sign up for CuriosityStream with my link and get a 2 month free trial!

Hey Family and Friends,

CuriosityStream is a new, non-cable TV streaming service (from Discovery Channel) with tons of great documentaries on every topic you can think of.  (Many of them are not on Cable TV, Netflix or Amazon Prime at all).  I discovered the service this July, and saw a one-month free offer.  Wife and I have kept with it, and enjoy it a lot. I am now billed monthly, (I selected the HD stream that costs me $5.99/mo.)  Lots of ways to view the videos via tablets, phones, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Amazon (but I tried putting it on the Amazon Fire Stick, and Amazon wanted to charge me for it even though I had the CS account, so I deleted the Amazon CS account ASAP!).

The Special Offer:
I received a recent email offer from CuriosityStream -- with not just one, but TWO free months of viewing for family and friends! If you signup with my link below, we both get an extra free month, on top of your one month free trial!  Service can be cancelled at any time before or after the trial period is over. So far, I'm not cancelling.  Two months for free -- nothing to lose!

https://curiositystream.com/referral/8bf63909f4

Re: a nice CuriosityStream offer
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:40:43 am »
when there is a referral link, it is spam!!!!

One thing, imo, Curiositystream does not have that much to offer.  I subscribed to it for a couple of months before canceling.   I got my trial and everything through amazon prime.   You can subscribe to a lot of the major streaming services like starz, showtime, acorn, contv, shuttered and more through them.  I did the trial on just about all of them.   You watch them through amazon video on your streaming boxes or computer and since they already have my info, I didn't have to create separates accounts and give the same info to the different streaming services I was checking out. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:52:47 am by renegade600 »

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 02:45:04 pm »
As I mentioned, I looked into Amazon Prime as well, and using that way to view had problems:  Since I had already easily set up a CuriosityStream account, it was apparent that the Amazon link did not have much to offer in variety -- it was a truncated list of videos.  Basically, Amazon shows you what they want you to see, and they want to start charging you more money and do so immediately.  No free trial for a month or two. Once I compared the two services, I called Amazon to immediately cancel the service since I could not figure out how to delete the app myself. 

When I had added CS to my Roku list of Channels, it worked immediately, I was inside my complete CS account,(looked and worked like it did on the iPad) and of course, there was no charge for adding the app to my Roku.  There are significantly better app experiences with Roku than through a Fire TV and easier operation.

Actually, I first learned about CS while looking for an obscure BBC video at Amazon Prime.  When I found the video, like many there at Amazon, it asked "how do I watch this video?" and it said if I had a CS account I could.  So, I decided to find out via Google who CS was, and that's how and when I decided to sign up with CS and not with Amazon at the get-go.

Now, for the content variety comment:  CS has a lot today, and just as importantly, specific content is easy to find.  They also redesigned the GUi of the site recently and added the ability to cast to a Chromecast so, no Roku is needed now to get video onto the big screen.

As for this comment:  >>  when there is a referral link, it is spam!!!!

BS, not when a message/link is given to you by someone you know, he is not selling anything, and there are not any possible viruses in an email.  For the most part spam, comes as email from unknown entities and could even be dangerous.

So, let the others who read this thread about CS decide if they want the free offer and let THEM decide if this service would be worth paying for AFTER they have used it for free for two months.  Heck, I might even not stay with it "forever".  Time will tell.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:57:58 pm »
As I mentioned, I looked into Amazon Prime as well, and using that way to view had problems:  Since I had already easily set up a CuriosityStream account, it was apparent that the Amazon link did not have much to offer in variety -- it was a truncated list of videos.  Basically, Amazon shows you what they want you to see, and they want to start charging you more money and do so immediately.  No free trial for a month or two. Once I compared the two services, I called Amazon to immediately cancel the service since I could not figure out how to delete the app myself. 

When I had added CS to my Roku list of Channels, it worked immediately, I was inside my complete CS account,(looked and worked like it did on the iPad) and of course, there was no charge for adding the app to my Roku.  There are significantly better app experiences with Roku than through a Fire TV and easier operation.

Actually, I first learned about CS while looking for an obscure BBC video at Amazon Prime.  When I found the video, like many there at Amazon, it asked "how do I watch this video?" and it said if I had a CS account I could.  So, I decided to find out via Google who CS was, and that's how and when I decided to sign up with CS and not with Amazon at the get-go.

Now, for the content variety comment:  CS has a lot today, and just as importantly, specific content is easy to find.  They also redesigned the GUi of the site recently and added the ability to cast to a Chromecast so, no Roku is needed now to get video onto the big screen.

As for this comment:  >>  when there is a referral link, it is spam!!!!

BS, not when a message/link is given to you by someone you know, he is not selling anything, and there are not any possible viruses in an email.  For the most part spam, comes as email from unknown entities and could even be dangerous.

So, let the others who read this thread about CS decide if they want the free offer and let THEM decide if this service would be worth paying for AFTER they have used it for free for two months.  Heck, I might even not stay with it "forever".  Time will tell.

It is spam because you are using someone elses forum for your own personal gain.  may not be much but the post was only for personal gain otherwise you would have never posted it. 

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:37:19 pm »
Not so; I had been planning to tell my "friends and family" (which could include you -- maybe) about CS before the email came to me, and the free offer for anyone to get it before was first month free without any intervention from me or anyone else.  Now, friends and family get TWO months free.  The fact that I will get one free is immaterial.  Maybe YOU would do this for some sort of gain, but I didn't -- I did it to give others two free months.

Why don't YOU stop being such a CYNICAL JERK, and find something more important to bitch about!  Go talk to your Alexa; maybe IT cares about what you have to say on this!