Echo & Alexa Forums

UK Alexa can't play TuneIn radio

Pagemakers

UK Alexa can't play TuneIn radio
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:19:21 am »
Any reason why the UK Alexa can't play TuneIn radio?

ric9887

Re: UK Alexa can't play TuneIn radio
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:10 pm »
I got my UK Echo today - and it plays LBC from TuneIn with no problem.

ex_directory

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:44:08 pm »
Mine seems to play some things on TuneIn. Flash brief worked from TuneIn, Absolute 80's worked after several attempts. Could it just be that everyone in the UK got their echo yesterday and was trying it out in the evening??

Pagemakers

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:54:36 am »

I have a USA echo andsince in pairing it with my Amazon.com account and repairing it to my Amazon.co.uk account TuneIn Radio stopped working.  It says it can't find TuneIn

ex_directory

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:24:03 am »
TuneIn worked first time this morning. No problems.

Rick Astley interview - brilliant! Showing my age!

Pagemakers

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:26:36 am »
It used to work on my USA Amanda on account but refuses to find since I've Place the echo on my uk account.

mindmagic

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:41:28 am »
I'm finding TuneIn very eccentric. Sometimes she says she will play a station but I get silence. She also usually, but not always, fails to find my favourite station.

Pagemakers

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:47:43 am »
My Alexa says she can't find TuneIn

migmog

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 11:57:33 am »
I can get to TuneIn from the web page or the app, but not from voice control. Very odd.

mindmagic

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 12:22:48 pm »
Don't ask "play TuneIn", just ask for a station and TuneIn should be selected automatically. It doesn't always work though; I've had silence, "I can't find", "TuneIn isn't available" or the completely wrong station in some of my experiments.

Pagemakers

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 01:14:13 pm »
Nope. Won't play any UK radio station I can think of.

I'm certain you have to say "Alexa play BBC radio 1 on TuneIn"

That worked when my Echo was registered to Amazon.com

Stopped working now my Echo is on Amazon.co.uk

Zarjaz99

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 02:50:57 pm »
Have you tried doing this using the Radioplayer skill? I've managed to get just about every UK station I've tried by going through that skill.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 03:34:39 pm »
The US Echo has been out for almost two years now. In these two years, there has been growing pains with "this not working or that not working." It took almost a year for smart home support (e.g. Wemo, Hue, SmartThings). Thermostat support was just added a few months ago. Many of us waited blindly without knowing if thermostat voice control would ever be added. For a year and a half, Amazon said nothing about thermostat control. Now a dozen brands of thermostats can be voice controlled by Echo. As for music, initially Echo only supported Prime music and nothing else. Then one by one came Pandora, TuneIn, IHeart Radio, Spotify, etc.

I expect the UK Echo will go through similar growing pains. Amazon has already gone through this with the US Echo, so this time around it shouldn't be as painful or take as long. You're not waiting blindly without knowing if what you need will ever be supported like the US folks had to before. You know that TuneIn will be fixed soon. You know IFTTT support will be added even if IFTTT says they don't know when. And a slew of things that already work on the US Echo but don't work on the UK Echo will be fixed eventually. Just give it some time.

mindmagic

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »
Have you tried doing this using the Radioplayer skill? I've managed to get just about every UK station I've tried by going through that skill.

I'd be interested to know how you managed that. I've enabled Radioplayer, and gone through the setup giving it my town, but all stations still seem to come through TuneIn.

Pagemakers

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 08:05:08 am »
Now Amazonia has transferred my USA account to the UK Tunein works fine now.