Echo & Alexa Forums

IFTTT in the UK?

NemesiS153

IFTTT in the UK?
« on: September 28, 2016, 04:44:27 am »
Hi Guys,

Is IFTTT available to use with echo in the UK for launch? Seen a few times people saying that it wont be available until later in the year. I want to use it with my Harmony

chrise

Re: IFTTT in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:38:38 pm »
It's not. I tweeted them and got back : " No dates to share, but working with the Amazon Team to bring support soon. Thanks for your interest!"

You can add the channel into IFTTT but it just doesn't work. Soon I hope - IFTTT was one of the big reasons I got the Echo!

Chris

ric9887

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:11:59 pm »
Thanks for this confrimation - I was wondering why it didnt trigger anything.
Does anyone know what is stopping it ? Is it Geolocation based ? would I need to route my Echo as a US internet breakout?

chrise

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:05:22 pm »
Tried changing my ip via a vpn to appear in the states - didn't work. IFTTT say they're working with Amazon so I assume it's something on Amazon's end not IFTTTs?  I've had a search around and not found any work arounds either.  Fingers crossed it gets fixed quickly.

Chris

ex_directory

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:41:45 pm »
+1, one of the main reasons i bought it.

jonandmarkuk

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 03:05:43 am »
+1
Really disappointed that IFTTT isn't ready for launch and they can't give any dates.
Feeling a little underwhelmed with Echo at the moment :( I want to love it but so far promised features seem to be missing. (Maybe they rushed the UK launch to beat Google?)

I find it very interesting that Amazon don't appear to be allowing any reviews to be posted for Echo at the moment.

ex_directory

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 04:26:32 am »
Not that I read up beforehand but I was expecting to be able to say, play x on my lounge fire tv. i.e. avoiding the need to use the remote. Surely an amazon device can talk to amazon device!?

Agree, slightly underwhelmed, now have to wait for either IFTTT or Harmony to add a skill to have some fun playing with it again.

NemesiS153

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:35:02 am »
thats annoying, means i cant use my Harmony setup for the moment then :'(

ex_directory

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 05:28:50 am »
Exactly, i asked a question on Amazon, about release date for this, no one has replied which will mean my question will be removed. If anyone fancies answering it at least it keeps the question up there and you never know, a tiny bit of extra pressure!

Pagemakers

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:04:27 am »
Since my USA Echo has been transferred to the UK IFTTT no longer works.  It did before.

karlfr

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:02 am »
my harmony setup still works, it just does it through ST hub

Pagemakers

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 03:34:19 am »
This works in the U.K.  Odd how this app works with Echo and IFTTT

https://appsto.re/gb/fTQoeb.i

strayfish

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 06:31:28 am »
I take it IFTTT means If This Then That. Does this mean you can follow up one question with another without Echo closing down and you having to wake it again? A kind of nesting of questions to get to the answer you need? Quick example off the top of my head:

How many birds are there in the world?
X billion
How many in the UK?
X million
What percent are sparrows?
Y million

That sort of thing. With Echo as it is now, I'd have to wake it to ask all three questions separately.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 07:25:22 am »
I take it IFTTT means If This Then That. Does this mean you can follow up one question with another without Echo closing down and you having to wake it again? A kind of nesting of questions to get to the answer you need? Quick example off the top of my head:

How many birds are there in the world?
X billion
How many in the UK?
X million
What percent are sparrows?
Y million

That sort of thing. With Echo as it is now, I'd have to wake it to ask all three questions separately.

It's not exactly like that. IFTTT is not used for asking questions.

IFTTT was not made for Amazon Echo and you don't need an Echo to use it. But a lot of Echo users have found it quite useful.

The "IF" part is a trigger. Like "if your motion sensor detects movement at your front door" or "if the words 'potato chips' appears in an incoming email" or "if your Nest thermostat temperature is under 20 C"

There are literally hundreds (perhaps thousands) of "if" scenarios that can be used as a trigger.

The "then" part is the action of what you want to do when the trigger is activated.

Examples:
- IF your motion sensor detects movement at your front door, THEN send a SMS/Text message to your phone
- IF the words 'potato chips' appears in an incoming email, THEN send an email to your spouse with subject "do we have to buy more chips?"
- IF your Nest thermostat temperature is under 20 C, THEN set Nest temperature to 25C.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:27:21 am by jwlv »

strayfish

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 08:04:16 am »

It's not exactly like that. IFTTT is not used for asking questions.

Ah, thank you. So, if IFTTT comes to UK Echo it will be possible for people who write recipes(?) to modify its output perhaps. Or will it mean there are skills it can use that it can't use now? I'm unlikely to be writing anything so what would the utility of IFTTT capability be for me and other similar users?
Sorry if this is turning into a tutorial!