Echo & Alexa Forums

Failure To Add 3rd Lamp To Group

tecmic

Failure To Add 3rd Lamp To Group
« on: October 02, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »
I had no problems in setting up two bulbs when I got the Echo.  I now want to add a third to the group (named Lights) but it doesn't see it when Discover is run!  I've now tried two different new bulbs with no success, it still only sees the two originals which it's named Ambience 1 and 2.  I've re-booted the Echo and deleted previous entries and started from scratch but no success.  The third bulb lights up so there's not a power problem.  Do you have to specify a limit for extra devices?

What next, any offers?

ps  I don't see any posts on this problem, has nobody experienced it?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:55:37 pm by tecmic »

DParker

Re: Failure To Add 3rd Lamp To Group
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 01:58:38 pm »
A little more info would help.  For instance, what kind(s) of bulbs are they?  Are all 3 the same brand/model, or is it a mix?  What hub/bridge (if applicable) are you using?

tecmic

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:52:10 pm »
Of course, sorry.... my omission.  It's a Phillips Hue system and the starter pack included a Bridge, a 4 button remote switch and 2 Phillips Hue White Ambiance lamps.  I downloaded the Phillips Alexa app onto an iPhone 6s, which was from where I did the initial setup .....successfully.  That was Thursday 28 Sept. since then I decided to add a third lamp but the system doesn't 'discover' (detect) a third lamp!  I initially thought it was faulty lamp logic, so bought another but that also is not detected.  Both the additional lamps light up, so there's not a power problem.  Also....neither of these additional lamps respond to the wireless switch, which was included in the start-up pack.  I've also swapped lamps around in different lighting fittings, where 2 lamps work but not three!

DParker

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »
Of course, sorry.... my omission.  It's a Phillips Hue system and the starter pack included a Bridge, a 4 button remote switch and 2 Phillips Hue White Ambiance lamps.  I downloaded the Phillips Alexa app onto an iPhone 6s, which was from where I did the initial setup .....successfully.

OK..there is a Philips Hue app, and there is an Alexa app...but there is no such thing as a "Philips Alexa" app.  The Hue app come from Philips and is for configuring/controlling your Hue Bridge and the bulbs that are controlled by it.  The Alexa app is from Amazon and is for cofiguring/controlling your Alexa account and Echo device(s).  So you need to differentiate between the two so we know what you've done (or need to do) in which app.

That was Thursday 28 Sept. since then I decided to add a third lamp but the system doesn't 'discover' (detect) a third lamp!

I'm assuming that by "lamp" you mean "Hue bulb".  If not then please clarify what it is that you actually bought and attempted to add to your home automation ecosystem.  When seeking help with technical issue accuracy and non-ambiguity in terminology is very important, so please try to be more clear in your descriptions.

I initially thought it was faulty lamp logic, so bought another but that also is not detected.

Not detected by what?  The Hue Bridge, or the Echo/Alexa app?  Remember that your bulbs are ultimately being controlled by your Philips Hue Bridge, so that is the configuration you need to get working first.  Then, once that is done, you can attempt device discovery via your Echo (or the Alexa app) and, if everything is working correctly, Alexa will learn about your bulbs from the Philips Hue Bridge (albeit indirectly via the Philips cloud service) and provide you with voice control over them.

Also....neither of these additional lamps respond to the wireless switch, which was included in the start-up pack.

This tells me that you're not successfuly going through the procedure required to give your Hue Bridge control over your new bulbs (assuming you bought compatible bulbs, which we don't know yet because you chose to refer to them as "lamps" for some reason).  As such Alexa and your Echo are irrelevant at this point.  You need to get the bulb <-> bridge configuration working first.

I've also swapped lamps around in different lighting fittings, where 2 lamps work but not three!

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're saying here.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:52:38 pm by DParker »

tecmic

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:11:26 am »
If your comments did anything, they made me look again at the setup procedures and I've now been successful in adding 3 lamps (otherwise known as Phillips Hue Bulbs) to my system.  The problem was that I was not using the Phillips Hue app to identify the bulbs before instructing the Alexa app to 'discover' them!  (yet this worked for the initial two that came with the Start-up pack?)

Re. your comments...Ok, I incorrectly referenced the Alexa app as a Phillips product, not Amazon!  Otherwise....adding devices to the system can be done with the Phillips Hue app or the Alexa app, either way the important thing is that the Bridge knows about them.  Additional Bulbs are Phillips Hue bulbs!  Re. swapping lamps....I simply moved the bulbs around between three different light fittings to identify where, what I thought was the offending bulb, would and wouldn't work.

I've seen better set-up instructions than those Amazon provides!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:13:47 am by tecmic »

DParker

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:49 am »
If your comments did anything, they made me look again at the setup procedures and I've now been successful in adding 3 lamps (otherwise known as Phillips Hue Bulbs) to my system.  The problem was that I was not using the Phillips Hue app to identify the bulbs before instructing the Alexa app to 'discover' them!

Well, yes...that's exactly what I was saying.  You need to do that before Alexa has any way of knowing about them.

(yet this worked for the initial two that came with the Start-up pack?)

If you did not need to go through any procedure to get the first two bulbs that came with the bridge to be controlled by it then that means that it was done at the factory.  Since you bought the 3rd bulb separately you had to perform that procedure yourself, per the instructions that came with your bridge.

Re. your comments...Ok, I incorrectly referenced the Alexa app as a Phillips product, not Amazon!  Otherwise....adding devices to the system can be done with the Phillips Hue app or the Alexa app...

That is simply not true, as you've just learned...so I'm at a loss to understand why you're claiming that it is.  You cannot connect bulbs to the Hue Bridge using the Alexa app.  You can only use the Alexa app to make Alexa aware of the bulbs AFTER they have been connected to the Hue bridge using the Hue app (or by pressing the button on the top of the bridge).  This is because Alexa does not actually communicate with the bulbs themselves.  It communicates with Philips servers via the cloud.  Those servers in turn communicate with you Hue bridge, which then communicates with and controls your bulbs via the Zigbee mesh networking protocol.  As such it is impossible to use the Alexa app to add bulbs to your bridge.  You can only use it to cause Alexa to query the Philips servers to ask what bulbs are connected to your Hue bridge.

Additional Bulbs are Phillips Hue bulbs!  Re. swapping lamps....I simply moved the bulbs around between three different light fittings to identify where, what I thought was the offending bulb, would and wouldn't work.

I've seen better set-up instructions than those Amazon provides!

Considering the the procedure you were skipping was one needed by the Hue bridge, which was included with your Hue bridge instructions...I'm not sure why you're complaining about the instructions Amazon provides.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:23:23 am by DParker »

tecmic

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 11:35:54 am »
Last comment...ah, right, regarding the first two bulbs set-up, yes I did press the 'action' button on the Hue Bridge!  Look...this is a learning curve for me, much has become clear since conversing with you and I've added a fourth bulb to the system with consummate ease.  Whether you accept that or not I don't much care, but your knowledge appears to be that of a person with some experience in this area of technology and whereas I can appreciate your frustration, your 'bedside manner' is severely lacking, but thanks anyway.

tecmic

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 12:04:07 pm »
I should have said....my computer/networking experience is nearly 30 years old...and was on mainframes, although I did accumulate some considerable Windows experience and built/upgraded desktops.  Networking was not 'off the shelf' as it is today, but nor was it anywhere near as capable as are contemporary products.  Laugh if you like but it is my intention to add our TV to Echo's device list and before I attempt that I WILL do some research....to manipulate the menu system on our Sky Box with Echo's voice facility, appears a daunting and maybe an unrealistic objective, or are you going to tell me it's impossible?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:06:02 pm by tecmic »