Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot audio....

smeg

Dot audio....
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:19 pm »
Tentatively plan on connecting a Dot to an audio receiver via a 3.5mm-to-AV chord which would always be plugged into the Dot. My question is when I ask a question will the Dot answer through the receiver or use it's internal speaker? Pretty sure I know the answer but was hoping i was wrong.

I am assuming ALL audio will be output through the 3.5mm jack if it is plugged in but that would mean if the receiver was off I wouldn't hear anything.

If this is in fact the case does Bluetooth work any differently?

DParker

Re: Dot audio....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:41:07 pm »
The Dot doesn't differentiate between voice feedback and music when it comes to audio output, so everything is going to go to your receiver...whether you use a cable or Bluetooth.

smeg

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:58:38 pm »
Yea, thats what I thought :(

When I watched the demo video it kind of appeared(?) that might not be the case but the more I thought about it I kinda figured that was how it worked..... Audio out is afterall Audio out.

Anyway, thanks foe confirming my suspicions.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:47:13 am »

When I watched the demo video it kind of appeared(?) that might not be the case but the more I thought about it I kinda figured that was how it worked..... Audio out is afterall Audio out.

Yes but if you use BT and your receiver is off - Dot will use is internal speaker instead...

Cheers,
Alex

DParker

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 11:10:34 am »
Yes but if you use BT and your receiver is off - Dot will use is internal speaker instead...

Cheers,
Alex

True, I forgot about that.  Good catch.

Mork74

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:28 pm »
so i you wanted to play music would need to walk to speak and press on and then when voice activate to stream to speaker it would work but also all other audio would come out of speaker until disconnect?

was really hoping a way that all audio comes out of dot and music defaults to a speaker that i set

smeg

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:52:56 pm »

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks for the heads-up.

Yea, have been weighing that option in my head.I am thinking a tp-link plug for the receiver and Bluetooth power. Then I could just say "Lexa... stereo On" wait 5 seconds for the receiver to power-up and the bluetooth to connect. Then say "Lexa... play playlust ABC"

So now I have to find a bluetooth adapter that will connect when powered-up without me having to push any buttons.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:59:44 pm by smeg »

Yoda_One

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 09:50:29 am »
This is what I do. I have the Dot direct connected with 3.5mm to my Logitech speaker system also paired to another BT system. I always leave both systems on so I will be able to at will.

"Alexa play The Band from Prime" which play in the family room. " Alexa set Volume to 5" etc.   "Alexa Connect Bluetooth" music sent to the other speaker system. "Alexa Set Volume to 10".    "Play Jazz from Prime"   Alexa Set Volume to 2".  "Alexa Disconnect Bluetooth" now it is back to the 3.5mm.

Notes: If not connected to 3.5mm the sound is directed to its internal speaker.
            The word Prime is not necessary once it has learned your requests.
             I do the same process with Fire TV in the Media Room but using Vizio speaker system connected to TV as the prime and my Alexa Tap as the BT speaker.
              Same process with each Fire TV in the bedroom using Prime Sound Bar and Echo as BT speaker.
Hope this will give you some clarity.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:00:39 am by Yoda_One »

smeg

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:24:34 pm »
Yoda, I saw in another thread that you have one of these i believe..,.

https://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000910-Bluetooth-Adapter-Streaming/dp/B00IQBSW28/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

My question to you is this... Once I pair the device to the Echo, if I turn the power off to the logitec for say 8 hours(random time) when I turn the power back on to the logitec I don't have to re-pair, correct? Once I return power to the logitec I only have to say "Lexa, connect".

I don't want to have to leave my stereo and Bluetooth device on all the time.

Yoda_One

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 05:49:51 pm »
Yes, that is correct. In fact I have left mine unplugged for a few days and it kept it's memory. I use the Logitech BT for my pillow speakers to listen to music. I am not sure how long it will keep but so far so good.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:54:06 pm by Yoda_One »

smeg

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 06:01:01 pm »
 That is what I was hoping for.

Thanks for letting me know.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 09:36:50 pm »

I don't want to have to leave my stereo and Bluetooth device on all the time.

Many devices never shut off (e.g. Roku, Fire Stick, Chromecast) and I have left my stereo on 24/7 for years (as well as a WDTV) so gadgets are ready at anytime.  Doesn't hurt a thing, and besides, the TV goes off and on throughout the day, and it is connected to the stereo and the stereo volume is lft on the TV.